inner-rotor vs outer-rotor

Frank the Tank

The Butcher!
whats the big differences in the two in preformance?

i saw a good deal on a polini inner rotor ignition (which everyone says is an outer rotor ignition) and an italkit inner rotor ignition.

i can't decide which to get.

my current setup is stock, but im planning to upgrade to something like a stage 6 race, malossi mhr, polini evo, mk prorace. (anything that i can find a good deal on)

this is going to be a street scooter, not for race so i dont need anything fancy like multi curve settings. i just need lights.

Advertisement - register to remove this

Only with a H.P.I. innenrotor with ('lichtspoel', don't know the english word), you can get lights, with other innenrotors you have to charge your battery by yourself.
My advise is not to buy one, you better by a overrange or something like that

hpi only gives 40 watt of light i thought, thats enough for your braking light :p

It's not 40W, only 10W so it's not too much. I've used the HPI light coil and it's more than enough for LED lights.

For street usage I think an MVT is a good choice. MVT outer rotor is lighter than the original one.

Hi all!

I need lights too, and I've been told that the leonelli system would be also a good choice. Is that right?

I have a Leonelli (LE102), I can't say it worths 220-230 euro. For Minarelli engine the rotor has totally the same weight as the 2JA rotor (original Yamaha), so you pay money for a kit that has a stator with less electric/magnetic resistance than a standard (sure it's good) and has an analogue but variable CDI.
This analogue type CDI retards the timing about 12-15 degree (strobo light is not totally accurate).
This mean if you adjust 28 degree advance as a standard, at higher rpm it can retard to 13 degree advance.

Moreover for the 230 euro the kit doesn't contain the coil, and the spark wire+cap!
You have to pay another 90 euro if you want the same analogue kit with coil + sparking wire + cap (Le202).
If you want a digital upgrade it's another 160 euro (doesn't contain the programmer). The programmer is another 180 euro. So it's ridiculous!

I use this kit because it's much more reliable as the original kit, but not an inner rotor. The kit is far away from a real good race kit. I've used the HPI inner rotor kit for a long time so I can compare them. The HPI was really good, but for a track usage I prefer the heavier rotor, because the rpm doesn't drop too much in the corner so the accelrating from the corner is better.

If you want a good ignition I should say the MVT kit is a much more better choice. It's cheaper and lighter than the Leonelli and it also has a digital upgrade kit.

Last edited:
I have a Leonelli (LE102), I can't say it worths 220-230 euro. For Minarelli engine the rotor has totally the same weight as the 2JA rotor (original Yamaha), so you pay money for a kit that has a stator with less electric/magnetic resistance than a standard (sure it's good) and has an analogue but variable CDI.
This analogue type CDI retards the timing about 12-15 degree (strobo light is not totally accurate).
This mean if you adjust 28 degree advance as a standard, at higher rpm it can retard to 13 degree advance.

Moreover for the 230 euro the kit doesn't contain the coil, and the spark wire+cap!
You have to pay another 90 euro if you want the same analogue kit with coil + sparking wire + cap (Le202).
If you want a digital upgrade it's another 160 euro (doesn't contain the programmer). The programmer is another 180 euro. So it's ridiculous!

I use this kit because it's much more reliable as the original kit, but not an inner rotor. The kit is far away from a real good race kit. I've used the HPI inner rotor kit for a long time so I can compare them. The HPI was really good, but for a track usage I prefer the heavier rotor, because the rpm doesn't drop too much in the corner so the accelrating from the corner is better.

If you want a good ignition I should say the MVT kit is a much more better choice. It's cheaper and lighter than the Leonelli and it also has a digital upgrade kit.

Where does the Polini rotor kit fall in then?

If you want horsepower without the fancy lights..........go with a PVL inner rotor and use low wattage bulbs in your lights. Get a good deep cycle bike battery and recharge it every couple days on a trickle charge battery charger. Its all about what you want............if you really want your scoot to FLY you need to get as much weight off the crank as you can and I find the PVL to be most reliable of all.

Back