How long will a Malossi/Polini Racing Cylinder Kit Last?

icedeocampo

how long will a cylinder kit last, if you use it everyday, to travel around 40 kilometers / day.

how long will the piston last before you need to get a new pistong?

any ideas?

i'm not after peak performance... so even though the block looses power due to compression loss, so as long as it still runs at least 120km/h

(assuming that the setup includes a tuned pipe)

Advertisement - register to remove this

....Malossi recommends checkup of ring gap/decorbanizing of head every 3,000 kms., changing of ring and piston is an option depending upon your asessment of the wear.....Happy New Year...!

pistons on race cilinders only last a maximum of 3000 to 4000kms if you ride the scooter gently but for hardcore race set-ups with heavy tuning you can only hope it reaches 500kms before you buy a fresh piston kit, usually my rings last 50kms after hard testing & racing but when it reaches the maximim ring end gap clearance then i replace it with a new one.

Aerox-Evo70 said:
i drove an evo70, 20000km long... (costed me 5 pistons)
it still performs pretty good, so it all edpends how u use it (oil, rpm etc)

20000 km with only 5 pistons -> average 4000km/piston?? It's a very good result!

And how many rings did you use?

I don't know how did you do it? Do you use it softly, or your bike only revs up to 13000 RPM or use your bike with 1:16 oil/fuel ratio? :p

I am really curious, how your 4000 km old pistons look like?

My record is 2000 km (only once) but usually 1000-1500 km, but I don't race.

tiba_karotsu said:
pistons on race cilinders only last a maximum of 3000 to 4000kms if you ride the scooter gently but for hardcore race set-ups with heavy tuning you can only hope it reaches 500kms before you buy a fresh piston kit, usually my rings last 50kms after hard testing & racing but when it reaches the maximim ring end gap clearance then i replace it with a new one.

tiba

50 km, not bad! :) I recommend you use oil for your bike:) :) :)

Aerox-Evo70 said:
i drove an evo70, 20000km long... (costed me 5 pistons)
it still performs pretty good, so it all edpends how u use it (oil, rpm etc)

I saw your cylinder and piston at scooterbase.net, hmm your parts are in a very good condition :p

tiba_karotsu said:

can you elaborate on the maximum ring end gap clearance?

and where can you get piston rings here in the philippines, and how much will it cost me?

if i still use my piston after it reaches the maximum gap clearance what would happen?

Browni said:
tiba

50 km, not bad! :) I recommend you use oil for your bike:) :) :)

very funny Browni but seriously you could still use my used rings for the street but the problem is rings on there race cilinders don't wear evenly that's why i check the ring end gap every race, new Malossi rings have a ring end gap clearance of ,006" to ,008" & when it reaches a maximum of ,012" it's time to replace them.

with pistons the new Malossi piston comes in at 47,53mm to 47,55mm & when it reaches 47,48mm then i slap in a new one.

as for oil i'm using Motul Kart racing at a mixture of 40ml/1L and it's a quite generous mix i might add.

sometimes a worn piston does better then a new one...

anyway, IF you treat it gently it CAN last very long.
i didnt even use very good oil, and only changed my ring together with the piston.

tiba_karotsu said:
very funny Browni but seriously you could still use my used rings for the street but the problem is rings on there race cilinders don't wear evenly that's why i check the ring end gap every race, new Malossi rings have a ring end gap clearance of ,006" to ,008" & when it reaches a maximum of ,012" it's time to replace them.

with pistons the new Malossi piston comes in at 47,53mm to 47,55mm & when it reaches 47,48mm then i slap in a new one.

as for oil i'm using Motul Kart racing at a mixture of 40ml/1L and it's a quite generous mix i might add.

so using old piston rings would not do anything bad to the bore itself?

....Worn out rings especially Malossi's is prone to break, i will not install used rings in my chrome bored cylinder...I have a friend who broke his piston rings twice because of excessive usage, it didn't damage his plating but his cylinder head got blemishes due to ring particles being hammered up by the piston....

tiba,

how much does a piston ring cost?

where can i buy it here in the philippines?

are there any other rings that are cheaper, but are compatible with the mhr/polini block

Malossi rings cost are made of nodular cast-iron with nickel-chromium facing & they cost around PHP750 to 850 depending on where & who you bought it from, Polini rings for the EVO are made of chromemolybdenum steel with a nickel-chromium facing which is impossible to break even if you twist it at severe angles, ask MikkoR how much he sells a ring for but i think it'll be around the price range of Malossi rings.

Malossi rings are available at Access Plus, Danny Agustin's shop (Concepcion, Marikina), Raymond's shop (Bocaue, Bulacan), Bagbaguin scooter center (Sta. Maria, Bulacan), Revzone (Marilao, Bulacan). Polini rings are available only at Arcega's Trading in Baliuag, Bulacan.

Beta675 i'll bet my old rings can still be used for the street for a good length of time before it becomes very worn out.

Back