Help on Aprilia Area 51

"apriliamad"

(Hi i am new here so if i make mistake excuse me.)
I have had my Aprilia Area 51 for a while now, and i heard of somebody that it is possible to increase the speed and acceleration quite a bit. Although it is fast at standard but I would like to go faster. The fastest i have been so far is 52mph but on long roads it seems to be a lot slower and i am holding people up which I dont like to do. So if it is possible could somebody tell me what i can do to my bike to get it faster. also i dont want to change the cc as i can only ride a 50cc for now but want to go faster.

Advertisement - register to remove this

to make your aprilia faster will only take a few things(race exhaust such as yasuni z or r, leo vince zx , technigas next r, also you will have to get rollers to go with the exhaust try 4.0 gram , also upjet your carb try a 92 mainjet )
good luck
..nick

the standard exhaust is in 2 parts , the first part and I think the last part too has a restrictor , also the variator is resticted by a ring , and fully unrestricted the main Jet should be 72 , then the scooter will perfom on it's max. to go a little bit faster you can buy a racing type exhaust on it like Gianelli nrx (specialy for area) , leovince sprinter , and some other exhausts , most exhaust for a normal minarelli motor do not fit this bike. the main jet should be 76/78 with a racing type exhaust with a std airfilter. 92 like the user above said is withhout the pipe in the airfilter , but removing this pipe had no use at all!!

I have a Aprilia Area 51 myself , there are not many exhaust that wil fit!

you will probably have to grind off a little piece of the part that normaly connects with the center stand.

2 weeks ago I had a Area here with a c16...

No problem with that. When I receive it maybe I'll even make some pictures of the exhaust fitting, because noone really knows about this exhaust problem with Area 51.

Tnx. Melf.

well , the problem with the exhaust on a Area51 is that the most exhausts are contructed so that they should be where the engine mounting also is , that is because normal (other) Minarelli engine do not have such a engine mounting , so it will fit on these bikes. there are lot's of exhaust wich will fit with minor adjustments , you then only have to grind of a little bit of of the engine mounting. there are just a few that will fit directly (even with centerstand) , like Gianelli NRX en Leovince Sprinter wich are specificly made for area51.

but there are a lot of exhaust that won't fit at all , then you really have to change the engine mounting . I have done it to fit a Stage6 Pro replica , and now I have a Stage6 Pro wich made me change it again :p

there is also a difference with or without the centerstand , some exhaust like c-16 , evo exhaust etc. will fit but only without the centerstand (also on other minarelli models) and for some you'll have tot grind off a litte bit of of the engine mounting as I said earlyer.

It is a very special way of mounting the engine , but it causes a lot of problems :p

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. Btw. I have a Stage 6 Racing cylinder. So basically grinding off the center stand connenction will be enough? Dont have the parts with me yet. Still being sent or is it wise to wait until they arrive and then see what has to be done...

aprillia area 51

hi all i recently brought an area 51 scooter as a non runner, because i got cheap, thought i would spend a bit of money on it to improve the performance. So i fitted a big bore kit 70cc and leo vince tt scooter exhaust system, which fitted easliy without mods (looks good too). The bike still would not run :'(. tracked the problem down to a broken reed valve :(, fitted new reed valves. great the engine is running:#. but rough no power, bogging down. was told to go up on the main jet by10%. which seems logical. i,e bigger engine more fuel required. the standard main jet was 84 so fitted 92 main jet (standard air filter). No good engine ran worse plug was black. so went the other way fitted a 79 main jet running better but still too rich ie plug still a bit black. think i will try a 72 main jet next as melf 50 suggested.
ok now the now the drive system. I fitted the rollers that came with the exhaust. i dont know how heavy they are but they are quite a bit heavier than the standard ones. The exhaust also came with 3 clutch springs which i have not fitted. Can anyone explain how the rollers affect performance, also what affect the clutch springs have. At the moment the scooter is dead slow just about does 30mph;(. hopefully changing the jet to 72 will help. but not sure it will solve all the problems. anybody got any ideas?

Last edited:
Back