Gilera Runner 209 ccm Quattro valve

Sorry all for just forgetting about this the last year. But my time isn't what it used to be. I hope that you find insperation and answers anyway though.

Hey Velo,
I have followed your project over sometime now.
You have a really nice runner
I have also build a special runner
here is a link with a couple of pictures of the runner i'm building
please give your opinion or sugestions

Best regards
Jeroen B.

https://picasaweb.google.com/117801...&authkey=Gv1sRgCJHpjOPjjJXrTw&feat=directlink

:#
Thanks, your Runner looks very very good. Applaus for that9||6

Need advice (gilera runner 200VXR)

Hi there!
Wannna do some upgrade with my leader engine so I ask for advice.

1. In plains install malossi camshaft with original head (valves, intake and exhaust channels and piston were polished)...
Will it works with origin. head...? As far as I understood this camshaft gives valves more time still opened in positions. Is this a reason for install this camshaft with original overhaulin cylinder?

2. Carburettor! Thinkin about dellorto PHP 34mm... what u think about this carb... or...???

3. And wanna do "homemade" exhaust somethin like megaphone or smtn.. with stainless steel pipes and some lill silencer... maybe it will be nor good for high RPM (try to find best way with pipe length and silencer) (chipest way)

OR buy LEO"4 road"

OR buy some acrapovic for 250 engines...

Andre Negre

Hi there.

1. There are basicly 3 ways to get power.
#1 is increasing the engine volume = bigger cylinder/stroke
#2 is more Rew's. The more rews pr. min, the more combustion = bigger force
#3 Boost. The more air/full mix, the more bang. This could be NOs, turbo etc.

When changing to a race cam like the Malossi, the timing and opening of the valves change in favor for higher rews, thus using teori #2. This allso works well in tuned stock heads. It feels like when porting a 2stroke cylinder or Wankel engine.

34 mm carb. is a great choise for the engine, if ajusted correctly for the motor. If it should be a php or an other type, I can't tell any longer. Can't remember what is for what.

Save your self for the work.
Buy a Leovinci SBK. It is stainless/carbon. Sounds good, works well and fits like a charm.
An akra would be nice as well.

Hi there!
Wannna do some upgrade with my leader engine so I ask for advice.

1. In plains install malossi camshaft with original head (valves, intake and exhaust channels and piston were polished)...
Will it works with origin. head...? As far as I understood this camshaft gives valves more time still opened in positions. Is this a reason for install this camshaft with original overhaulin cylinder?

2. Carburettor! Thinkin about dellorto PHP 34mm... what u think about this carb... or...???

3. And wanna do "homemade" exhaust somethin like megaphone or smtn.. with stainless steel pipes and some lill silencer... maybe it will be nor good for high RPM (try to find best way with pipe length and silencer) (chipest way)

OR buy LEO"4 road"

OR buy some acrapovic for 250 engines...

Andre Negre

TNX a lot...

Will try with malossi cam, delorto carb, polished channels, valves, new piston rings, malossi mulrivar, new belt, leo or acrapovic exhaust and maybe will try malossi delta clutch... and sure owersize front brake disc for the better handlin... =)

So my another question about ignition:
I found in forum someone have installed the IgniTech ignition (tunable for 1 cyl motors) did u know something about this product?
Maybe will be Easy to instal as usual malossi CDI unit???

than you,
Andre

I don't know that CDI system.
Clutch is only needed if you like wheelieing a lot. Otherwise it is a place where you can save a little bit of money and just buy a set of clutch springs.

Tnx Velo,

And what do you think about engine temperature (if i will use this malossi cam and delorto carb)... maybe it will needs to install additional radiator? or...

Tnx Velo,

And what do you think about engine temperature (if i will use this malossi cam and delorto carb)... maybe it will needs to install additional radiator? or...

It depends on your use.
If you can drive it normally and the fan doesn't start. No need to mound an additional radiator.

Around 90 degrees celcius is normal

So my another question about ignition:
I found in forum someone have installed the IgniTech ignition (tunable for 1 cyl motors) did u know something about this product?
Maybe will be Easy to instal as usual malossi CDI unit???

than you,
Andre

You can use the Ignitech, but you need to connect it to your battery, as it needs +12v DC. You also need to figure out the pre ignition of your engine.

Malossi PHF 34 MHR

Hi guys!

Its close for first start in this season after rebuild, and i have a question about malossi carb, there some outs for hoses a little bit different than stock carb and i asking about right connect. 8P

that little hoses from termostat must be connected to carb (both side throttle)???
on the stock it was conected to carb (V conecter under inlet).

p.s. maybe someone have closer photos of Malossi PHF 34 MHR conected to engine...

tnx, Andre

Hi guys!

Its close for first start in this season after rebuild, and i have a question about malossi carb, there some outs for hoses a little bit different than stock carb and i asking about right connect. 8P

that little hoses from termostat must be connected to carb (both side throttle)???
on the stock it was conected to carb (V conecter under inlet).

p.s. maybe someone have closer photos of Malossi PHF 34 MHR conected to engine...

tnx, Andre

Hi there.
Sorry for the VERY late answer.
The two coolant (heating) hoses from the thermostad are NOT to be connected to the Malossi/Dell'orto.

If you mount them to the two named places. You will fill the carb and then the engine with coolant.8P

Velo,

Didn't you had any problems with the cooling of the engine after building your runner with the kubler kit?
Because i've build now the 300 malossi cilinder on my runner but the temperture of the bike is still very high.

Are you still driving the Malossi Cdi from the beginning?
1 Malossi cdi of my was the reason for 2 jammed engines..

Velo,

Didn't you had any problems with the cooling of the engine after building your runner with the kubler kit?
Because i've build now the 300 malossi cilinder on my runner but the temperture of the bike is still very high.

Are you still driving the Malossi Cdi from the beginning?
1 Malossi cdi of my was the reason for 2 jammed engines..

I have had cooling problems, yes. But I mounted a 2. radiator and gave both radiator a better airflow.

My stator died when using the stock/malossi system, so I went all in and put on a internal rotor system from HPI.

Hi guys.
Sorry, not a proper update, But I'll let you know. I am still here and I will try to come by 2-3 days a week and still answer questions.
I have updated the first page with working links for the pictures. It is the best I can du so far unfortunately.

The Runner is parked for the moment, I have begun studying and I have got a son now, so the time and the money isn't what it was.
But the ambition is to make it run again, with the fastest possible setup. And next time, a want a license plate for it, because that is what you need to go to the Nürburgring. I have done the Formula 1 track with my 11 HP Yamaha Jog R (Racing class power limit) and did I miss the big Runner? Yes I did, so that is why I have promised my self, that the Nürburg ring is the target, but that is at least a couple of years from now.
Untill then, feel free to keep this thread updated about racing parts for the LEADER engine.
As mentioned. I want it to be as fast as possible.
91102-gilera-runner-vxr-mc-scooter

91111-gilera-runner-vxr-mc-scooter

91134-gilera-runner-vxr-mc-scooter

Best regards
Velo

DNA

Hi Velo,

I started built Gilera DNA 125, as Your Runner.

So my setup is:

Malossi complete Valve kit 209ccm, with 4head and powercam
Malossi Carburator 34mm with open filter
Malossi exhaust
Malossi CDI digitronic
Malossi candle
Malossi multivar with cont. spring (14,5gr rollers)
Malossi Delta clutch
Malossi Torgue drive

Also tuned chassis, but its not important now.

Only 2 original pieces left from 125ccm Piaggio:

Original Crankshaft
Original Gears

My first question is:

You wrote here, you have already changed Crankshaft for the Malossi one, but You broked it, so You put there original again. Could You write me, why the Malossi one broked a if its original better?

I didnt buy it because, this is writen in the manual of Malossi crank:

"The above mentoned original Piaggio crankshafts are divided into two classes ; they can be distinguished from the different tolerances of the housings where the bronze bushings work, which, on their turn, will be coupled to the crankshafts. To reduce the difficulties in determining
which class is needed when replacing the crankshaft, Malossi, thanks to the high standards of machining, has produced crankshafts which are centred between the two tolerance classes so as to be perfectly interchangeable anyway with the original ones."

If I understood, it means:

Piaggio has a two cranks with a diferent tolerance of bronze bushing. Malossi did only one, exactly centred between theese two. So how should it work, when for first housing is too small and for second is too big?

The second one is:

I want the biggest acceleration, i dont care about the top speed, could I leave there original gears from 125?

Thank You for Your great job here!

Last edited:
I can answer your second question, if you don't care about the top speed you can leave in the original gears.

Conserning the Cranks.

I am not aware of what is availible now, But back then, the 125 crank differs from the 180 and the 200 because the starter is different.

If you have the big bolt on starter, use the 180/200 crank. If you have the lighter fixed pulley starter, use the 125 crank.
P.S. Your PM is answered, sorry about the late answer though.

Hi Velo...i am watching your project fro the start before some years :) ... i have some questions for you:

Which belt you think is best?

And which torque drive? malossi 125cc (steel, code: 6111656) or malossi 200-300cc (aluminum, 6112563) ? I think you have tried both(or not?)... i know that each one needs a whole different rear pulley in every case...

Back