G type circlip install

makikulit

hello, i just would like to ask what is the proper orientation in installing a G type circlip, some says the open end should point to the crankcase 6 o'clock, others says that open end should be at 3 o'clock position whats right?

thanks

Advertisement - register to remove this

My point is they should be pointing towards the ground while lying in the trash :) Get the C-shaped clips, wich are much easier to install properly. (they actually look more like a B, without the middle dash).

But if you really want to use these, in my point of view it doesnt matter wich direction the opening is facing. The only force possible on those clips is the piston trying to get out. No up-, down- or sideway forces. As long as de clip is put in right, it shouldnt be abled to get out, whatever direction the opening is.

//edit
Or even better; get these;
p4muc_033%20copy.jpg

*D
But I ment these;'
P30490S.jpg

Last edited:
makikulit said:
hello, i just would like to ask what is the proper orientation in installing a G type circlip, some says the open end should point to the crankcase 6 o'clock, others says that open end should be at 3 o'clock position whats right?

thanks

Use only the "C" type circlips without any ears!! If you have "B" or "G" type cut OFF the ears, you won't have problem with it!

And it's important that the openig end of the circlip points to the stroke direction, so 12 hour or 6 hour /if the piston is in a flat place/!

The open "C" type are the best, but a super pain in the butt to put in, at least for me. I know Derbi makes a special circlip installation tool that looks like a pen that compresses scooter circlips evenly. But it cost a lot of money and hard to get, especially in the U.S.
Does anyone know of a similair tool?

scootertrog

thanks guyz the original circlip is a "C" type but i was not able to find a C type with the same size only the G type so i think i would go with the original clip so i will just cut the ears :)

The G or B whatever clips are just fine , i've you install them correctly ( and that is so easy 8P ) they will never brake or something , never had problems with those clips :)

But i agree that the C clips are the safest

quite obvious, if you put them another way, you'll end up stressing the circlip with the weight of the ear. Which can let them fail.

Hans F. said:
quite obvious, if you put them another way, you'll end up stressing the circlip with the weight of the ear. Which can let them fail.
The weight of the ear(s)?
Hmm, never thought of it that way. Its doesn't weight sh!t.. but it does at 12k RPM. Good thinking :)

I disagree. This discussion has come up before. I have ALWAYS used the "b" type (2 arms) version, even in my current Polini Evolution 70cc cilinder which does 13.500rpm.

NO PROBLEM AT ALL. I've used these types ever since I started with scooters, WAY back in 1996. I had never one fail on me, even after REUSING the same ones. (I didn't bother changing them after taking the piston off once or twice).

I'm not saying anyone else should or should not, but to every rule is the "exception" and I guess I am that exception on this one.

Just telling.

Now about whether they should be in de 6/12 or 3/9 position, not sure about that "arm weight" thing, but what (also) is the case, is for the fact the piston moves vertically.
So you have to put the clips in de 6/12 position (I always have the opening facing down).
Just think about it. If you would put them in 3/9 -perpendicular to the piston's movement- will put forces on the clip, in the same direction as when you take them out (the arms are forced together).

This is a sureguarentee they will come out off their seats and mess up your barrels and piston. Maybe worse.

Folkert@MinaRally said:
I disagree. This discussion has come up before. I have ALWAYS used the "b" type (2 arms) version, even in my current Polini Evolution 70cc cilinder which does 13.500rpm.

NO PROBLEM AT ALL. I've used these types ever since I started with scooters, WAY back in 1996. I had never one fail on me, even after REUSING the same ones. (I didn't bother changing them after taking the piston off once or twice).

I'm not saying anyone else should or should not, but to every rule is the "exception" and I guess I am that exception on this one.

Just telling.

Now about whether they should be in de 6/12 or 3/9 position, not sure about that "arm weight" thing, but what (also) is the case, is for the fact the piston moves vertically.
So you have to put the clips in de 6/12 position (I always have the opening facing down).
Just think about it. If you would put them in 3/9 -perpendicular to the piston's movement- will put forces on the clip, in the same direction as when you take them out (the arms are forced together).

This is a sureguarentee they will come out off their seats and mess up your barrels and piston. Maybe worse.

It's very simple! You are lucky!! :)

I haven't got problems too, cause I use all pistons without ears, but I saw many cylinder damage (not only with scooters) cause the ears broke OFF!

Once you hold a used circlip (with ears) look at it with a magnifying glass, and you will see it has got a lot of scratches at the bootom of the ear, in extreme conditions, it can easily tail away, and then fall off!

Browni said:
It's very simple! You are lucky!! :)

I haven't got problems too, cause I use all pistons without ears, but I saw many cylinder damage (not only with scooters) cause the ears broke OFF!

Once you hold a used circlip (with ears) look at it with a magnifying glass, and you will see it has got a lot of scratches at the bootom of the ear, in extreme conditions, it can easily tail away, and then fall off!

Well I guess I am. But I'm hardheaded and I woulk keep using these and REusing them. (Little note: I bent them JUST as much as needed to put them in and so it quickly. I'm not squeezing my pliers and take ages. So not much stress is put on them)

What amazes me though, why would all these style circlips exist, if they are supposed to be a no-no?
(btw I've never seen these clips like posted here, top version ("thick C"))

I agree with DRT, I think they all are ok as long as you don't bend them out of shape when installing. I really like Mexicano's teflon "plug" - it makes a lot of sense, and if they use them in R/C plane engines, then reciprocating mass obviously isn't a concern.
Still would like Santa Clause to get me that Derbi tool...... :)

I had one come out on my very first 70cc cylinder. It broke the corner of the skirt off and siezed the piston. Make sure that they go all the way in!

Aloha, orienting toward the stroke makes sense, and I always keep the open end of the clip away from the piston cut opening. But I have seen some clips just not fit well into the grooves....so I think the most important is how well they fit in the grooves and the best is the ones that are hardest to come out!! And probably the thinner wire ones are better.
frank

Here's a clip project, I thought it might fit in the discussion a little.

It was a weekend, so had to reuse the old clips. They bent when
removed, and I tried heating them and reshaping. I was suprised how
soft they were even after having cooled down.. basically junk.
Not sure if it was just inferior material (Taiwan cast iron kit), or
even the best OEM C clips will never re-harden after heating.
I used them only a couple of days, then got good ones from the
dealer.

bent (too small diameter)
4lh9n6b.jpg

heating
33z4ehi.jpg

reshaped, but still very soft and easily deformed again during install
6f7cl79.jpg

also check both ends of the gudgeon pin for any high spots and dress them with a stone or wet and dry these high spots or nibs if any can cut through the circlip ,polini circlips are particularly bad on 50cc mx (evo 50 cylinders) and snap the tips off,i think due to the amount of dirt and sand that gets by the filter.insert the circlip the opposite way to the norm by holding it with a small pair of long nose pliers in the middle of the clip and push the clips 2 open ends into the piston using the pistons cut out to feed the pliers in and out again when intalled this compresses the clips open ends evenly and by half the amount of bending 1 side only i tend to cut ends off of clips and leave open ends in line with cut out so clip is held in groove 100% clips are also different from brand to brand so if swapping check thickness of the wire gauge as will be loose in groove if too thin or will pop out if too thick

Back