C3 Vs C4

Eoin70

i just put in some c3 bearings rated at 18,000 rpm into my minarelli race engine will this be ok or do i need c4?
the setup is
Malossi Speed 70cc
Hebo 12mm Crank etc etc

Advertisement - register to remove this

the most people who ride with mhr speed etc, use C4 bearings. but if the C3 bearings are rated at 18k rpm, they are good enough. (a speed won't come above 14k rpm).
but if i was you, i would use C4 bearings. almost everybody here does it, and they haven't got problems with it.

i use the mk bearing and seal kit...the mk bearing is a c4 bearing with a insert in it for extra strenght...they are really nice...i have no lubrication wholes in my crankcase and they have been there and running fine for about 8 months...there great...skf c4 bearings i had blew in a month or so

I do not think most ppl use C4...
C4 bearings have more room for vibrations, and bending of the crankshaft. Using C4 bearings at low RPMs only produces more wearing, if you'd ask me.

I'd say the C3-bearings suits your needs just fine.

Eoin70 said:
i just put in some c3 bearings rated at 18,000 rpm into my minarelli race engine will this be ok or do i need c4?
the setup is
Malossi Speed 70cc
Hebo 12mm Crank etc etc

Eoin70

I use C3 bearings 5 years ago, they are good enough even in a high RPM air/water cooled racing bike! However I don't use SKF crankshaft bearings, but this is my fault:):)

I just got my new C3 bearings home, but one thing that astonished me is that it wasnt SKF, but "FAG C3". Is there any difference in durability, wear etc? Will the "FAG C3" hold for a Hebo Manston Replica midrace setup?

Sorry if Im going offtopic, but i felt it better to ask here, than to start a new thread.

Gurra said:
I just got my new C3 bearings home, but one thing that astonished me is that it wasnt SKF, but "FAG C3". Is there any difference in durability, wear etc? Will the "FAG C3" hold for a Hebo Manston Replica midrace setup?

Sorry if Im going offtopic, but i felt it better to ask here, than to start a new thread.

The following brands are really top quality bearings: SKF, NTN, Koyo, FAG, INA, NSK!

So your FAG bearing is very good too!

Last edited:
NSK? top quality? LOL! you're kidding Browni!!! NSK is crap in my opinion KOYO & NTN is much better but for my race engine only SKF 6204 TN9 C3 bearings go in & nothing else.

tiba_karotsu said:
NSK? top quality? LOL! you're kidding Browni!!! NSK is crap in my opinion KOYO & NTN is much better but for my race engine only SKF 6204 TN9 C3 bearings go in & nothing else.

You are wrong! NSK isn't bad!

Ok, maybe the NSK isn't as good as the others. That's why NSK is on the end of the list:)

The SKF TN9 isn't the only one for racing, it isn't as reliable as the NTN one!

Last edited:
Folks:

If you want the very best high end bearings, use NorthStar 6204FCCB, these bearings are hand made ceramic bearings, used in F1 racing, Professional Karting, etc.

They are very expensive, about $75.00 Usd. each but they worth it!

Regards,

Spasta:
It's not bullshit....you are wrong, They use same technology for bearings, ALL the serious racing engine builders use Ceramic Bearings.

RESEARCH!!!

you say: buy this bearnings, they are used in f1.
so f1 crank's = kart crank's.

there's something wrong in your sentence.

And i think f1 teams have special ppl for designing a bearning
i think no one will buy this bearnings because there's nothing known about :rolleyes:

(sorry for my sucky englisch :x)

No...son....I didn't said "buy this bearings" and I could argument something else for you but just checked your age at your profile and all I can say is:"TO BE OLD AND WISE YOU HAVE TO BE YOUNG AND STUPID" so you are excused from this, I hope the knowledgement growns on you sometime.

Be Safe,

Mexicano said:
No...son....I didn't said "buy this bearings" and I could argument something else for you but just checked your age at your profile and all I can say is:"TO BE OLD AND WISE YOU HAVE TO BE YOUNG AND STUPID" so you are excused from this, I hope the knowledgement growns on you sometime.

Be Safe,

hahahahaha, gaat out.

explain the reson why we need to buy those bearnings.
what about the rpm's, speling (hmm wat is dat hin het engels)

SPORT RIDER (U.S. Base Mag) did an article about ceramic bearing and it was very good compared to the steel one according to them, friction is significantly reduce, and according to the article Motocross teams who have used ceramic bearings in their crankshafts gives an additional 1hp due to less friction.

I did also phone KOYO Philippines and inquire about ceramic bearings and they did ask me "Why an I going to space?" they told me that space shuttle use ceramic bearings. And they we're surprised that they got an inquiry about ceramic bearings from a local.

So for the price of $75U.S. it must be that good in our engine if we can afford it.

Back