Best Mid Race cylinder?

adas

Aloha, which is the best performance MidRace LC Cylinder?
I currently have Malossi MHR REPLICA Anything better for Midrace?
Not Race like Polini Evo, please, just Midrace discussion.
If you have a link to a dyno test to demonstrate, that
would be nice.
Sorry I mean Replica.

frank

Last edited:
Advertisement - register to remove this

check out the metrakit sp2, i would take that cylinder over mhr replica or a polini corsa. its just no has them out here. vt cycle is a metra kit dealer but they only bring in the handmade stuffs.

Think Malossi MHR can be in the categorie of high racing cilinders ;)
Most popular mid race cilinder for the moment is the Stage6 Racing.
But this one isn't as fast as the MHR.

There's a big difference between MHR and MHR-replica cilinders :)
The MHR-r is quite slow, not even a mid-race cilinder imo.

Well i can see why u wouldn't call the MHR replica a midrace cylinder if u call the stage6 racing a mid-race cylinder. (Which it is clearly not, seeing as it puts out about the same amout of power as an MHR cylinder)

I would say the MHR replica is a good choice when talking durability and effeck, but even if u do sutch a small thing as change the piston to one with one ring only u would get a lot more effect from the cylinder.

Well that was well argumented ?!?!

It's true. The SP2 is the best midrace cylinder on the market. You cannot tell any other, what is high quality, very reliable, and has a good power, value/price ratio is also good.

Last edited:
Aloha, there seems to be different opinions to what is Midrace, so maybe we can do it on a scale of 1 to 10 for the power range and then rate the cylinder with an A, B, C to show how well it does the job it is designed to do. It is pointless to say that an Evo has more power than a replica.

0 === 6000-7500 power range 50cc stock porting

3 === 7000-9000 power range 70cc Sport cylinder (DR, etc)

4 === 8000-10000 power range fast Sport cyliner (corsa?)

6 === 9000-11000 power range Midrace (All replicas?)

7 === 10000-12000 power range Fast midrace?

9 === 11500-13500 power range Race cylinders (Evo, etc)

10=== 12500-14500 power range Super race cylinders (??)

If you feel a certain cylinder is a 7 (power band somewhere between midrace and race), then rate the cylinder with a "A, B or C" to indicate how well it does the job.

A= below expectations
B= Just about as expectated
C= Really Good

frank

Last edited:
i'd say up to 13k. I run my ported airsal at about 12.8k.

The good mid race and race motors will all run close to the same rpms, with the mid race making most power in the low 12s and the race making most power in the 12-13s.

You'll need a stroker if you want any real power at <10k rpms

i'd say up to 13k. I run my ported airsal at about 12.8k.

The good mid race and race motors will all run close to the same rpms, with the mid race making most power in the low 12s and the race making most power in the 12-13s.

You'll need a stroker if you want any real power at <10k rpms

I think if a midrace is ported to race, then it no longer is midrace, so acheiving 16 hp is no great thing for a ported midrace. Many tuners may (including myself) want a low revving midrace (power at 9-11k) instead of screaming at 13.5k to complement their screaming race cylinders.

Frank

Well that was well argumented ?!?!

There's nothing to argue about the Mk SP2, simply because it is the best mid race cylinder available in the market in terms of power, durability and price.

I think there is a thread before about this topic, well one way to see whose the best is to test it. My Zip is fitted with only a SP2 and it doesnt give me any problems, many Long Trips, track days, still the power is still there.

I bet my previous MHR would give me headaches right now. well in terms of durablity i can compare the SP2 with the MHR Replica since I previously own one, and for power with the MHR.

So with the SP2 you'll get the durability of the MHR Rep and the Power of the MHR.

There's nothing to argue about the Mk SP2, simply because it is the best mid race cylinder available in the market in terms of power, durability and price.

I think there is a thread before about this topic, well one way to see whose the best is to test it. My Zip is fitted with only a SP2 and it doesnt give me any problems, many Long Trips, track days, still the power is still there.

I bet my previous MHR would give me headaches right now. well in terms of durablity i can compare the SP2 with the MHR Replica since I previously own one, and for power with the MHR.

So with the SP2 you'll get the durability of the MHR Rep and the Power of the MHR.

Seems there good feelings for the SP2. At what RPM does the stock SP2 give the power?

Frank

Back