Beginner Tuner needs advice

Chaz

Hey guys! I just got a 89' yamaha jog(minarelli 2 stroke) and was looking to do some simple, affordable speed upgrades/derestrictions. I plan on cutting off the dummy pipe on my exhaust and removing the variator ring. Will cutting the dummy pipe require upjetting? Also, I live at 7000ft. I then am planning on replacing air filter and spark plug, which I know will require upjetting. Do you have any other recommendations? The scooter tops out at 38 and has 1600 miles. I would prefer to stay inside a $100 budget. (I live in Colorado, USA) thanks for any advice you can give me!

Advertisement - register to remove this

Hi Chaz and welcome!
Congrats on the scooter purchase. 89 is quite old, but I believe the engines back then where still made in Japan, so corrosion shouldnt be a problem unlike the China knockoffs :)
The dummy pipe, won't require upjetting, so go ahead! I am pretty sure the old Minarelli's also have a diameter restricted intake. Remove the carb and have and the intake and have a look if it matches the carb diameter (should be 12mm I believe). At $1000 you can do quite a lot, tho I would hold off the airfilter purchase for now. Sure it sounds nice, but with a stock engine it actually doesn't improve performance (most of the time it makes it actually worse) and it increases petrol consumption quite a bit (I believe your scoot only has a 5 litre tank or so, which can get annoying).
It depends a bit what you want to get out of your scooter, but if you want a fast reliable daily rider, I'd go with a 70cc cylinder kit (Stage6 Street Race or Sport Pro), matching pipe (Stage6 pro or Pro Replica, or Yasuni C16) and a 17.5mm carb. You will also need to install a longer transmission then. Also make sure to get some nice reedvalve block and a matching intake and if you really want the bigger sound, then get the air filter :) Should set you back around $600 I suppose :)

Now seeing that you said $100 budget :)
Well, not much in that price range to be honest. To get started I would swap the reed membranes with some carbon ones and if needed an unrestricted intake as mentioned above. The biggest bang for the buck is a 70cc kit. Tho, it might be hard to find something at $100. If you dont mind getting the dremel out, the ebay kits from China aren't so bad. The just need some rework because the castings are crap, but after that they give you an extra 2-3 hp, similar to the Polini or Malossi Sport kits. They also work well with the stock exhaust and carb!

Back