backfiring!!!!!!!

Check the electrical connection of the ground between the engine and the chassis. Happened to me and it did splutter.
What exactly is your plug?

where bouts is the connection...i know on 125 runners its to the crank case but i cant remember where it is on the 50ccs.iv tried a few

"iv tried a few different plugs.beru/ngk R ect and they all seem to work the same.the beru has a .40mm gap and there was no difference

u'll need a colder plug like aa ngk 10 or iw27 or 31.
reduce the gap way down and see if it makes it better
then make the gap very large and see does it worsen the symptoms

if u have a multimeter check for resistance between the engine and the negative of the battery
there should be a short circuit

i know for a fact the backfiring is down to your plug
ive had the same problem in my scooter many times

once i tried an IW31 in a standard scooter and the thing backfired like crazy

also a hot plug like an 8 or so will cause a race tuned cylinder to backfire

ok then...ill try a colder plug and reduce the gap down to about .3mm or so and see if it works...its just odd that my friend has the "exact" same setup as me and he has no problems so far

deanjdk said:
ok then...ill try a colder plug and reduce the gap down to about .3mm or so and see if it works...its just odd that my friend has the "exact" same setup as me and he has no problems so far

As I already said, check your ignition system, first check your connections (earth), then the CDI, I know some cases when the CDI dameged on a tuned scooter.

ok ...ill do a good check tomorrow and see is everything in the right place....its just a bit awrkward on the gileras!is there any easy way to check if the cdi is functioning properly?

go borrow a cdi from somebody with the same scooter as yours if the problem disappears then your cdi is shot, also try to add a wire connection from the frame to the engine it could just be a connection problem it happened to a cousin's scooter this afternoon & it was just a loose ground wire.

ok i tried grounging the chassis to the frame(just used a bit of speaker wire).is there an earth coming from the cdi?anything else it could be?

ok...iv checked the cdi/changed spark plug to one with .4mm gap/changed fuel inlet manifold/checked coil for visual damage and STILL its the same.there is 3 wire coming from the cdi and goin to the flywheel....i havent checked the connections at the flywheel yet but the connections are ok at the cdi

iv also pumped out some but not all of the crappy 95 octane with too much booster in it.there was 5 litres of that stuff in there and i pumped out about 1 litre of that and put 5 more litres of 99 octane with the"right " amount of booster to fuel ratio...could this still be the problem.

this what happens when i try to drive the bike,,,,
i leave in ticking over for about 4/5 minutes to warm up
i take off and slowly go down the road to clear the excess two stroke oil from the system.when the blue smoke stops pouring from the system i bring it to full throttle....it revs high and goes fast for a few seconds and then i loose power and it starts spluttering and backfiring.any more suggestions?

darn! i forgot about the crankshaft oil seals! i also remember having that same problem with sputtering that doesn't go awya no matter how much you do with everything. you could be on to something there mate don't hesitate open up that engine and check those oil seals.

no browni...i havent changed the cdi for a test yet..i havent had much time over the last few days but i will take the one from another gilera i have here once i get the chance.also ...when im checking the seals...what is the best way to do so???will i just try feel for air escaping from both sides of the crank or is there a better way e.g. with a curved feeler gauge or something like that....what way would "you " do it browni/tiba karotsu?

deanjdk said:
no browni...i havent changed the cdi for a test yet..i havent had much time over the last few days but i will take the one from another gilera i have here once i get the chance.also ...when im checking the seals...what is the best way to do so???will i just try feel for air escaping from both sides of the crank or is there a better way e.g. with a curved feeler gauge or something like that....what way would "you " do it browni/tiba karotsu?

If the oil seals are in bad condition, you can see a little oil on them (outside).

Last edited:
Back