[ask] Scooter market size in Holland?

rico_123

Hi, does anyone know the size of scooter market in Holland for 50cc and 150cc scooter? I need to know the number of manufacturers, market leader and the market share of each manufacturer. I am doing a final thesis of marketing chinese scooter to Benelux. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Advertisement - register to remove this

Hi, does anyone know the size of scooter market in Holland for 50cc and 150cc scooter? I need to know the number of manufacturers, market leader and the market share of each manufacturer. I am doing a final thesis of marketing chinese scooter to Benelux. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

only 50cc scooters and there are already too much chinese scooters!!
and there is nobody who repairs them!!!

Baotian
Huatian
Geely
'MotorZeta' (OEM)
'Jetstar' (OEM)
And many more OEM brands.

The problem with chinese scooters is that :
-they're sold for inflated prices. Many distributors/retailers just want to make a quick buck and sell them for around or over €1000 which is way too much considering the questionable quality of many chinese brands.
-they lack a service network.
-distributors are unreliable and can disappear anytime.

There's room for 1 or 2 brands if you set up a decent service network, keep prices attractive and please stick to the original brand name. There are too many of these motor/star/jet brands around.
And most important: get a quality brand, preferably Baotian (already taken, sorry :) )!

About the numbers:
Total annual sales of 50cc vehicles: around 50000-55000

Market share:
Peugeot 24.4% (people prefer garbage)
Tomos 24.2% (mopeds)
Piaggio 12.5% (includes piaggio/Puch/Gilera/Vespa)
Yamaha 13.3%
Kymco 6.8%

Last edited:
Baotian
Huatian
Geely
'MotorZeta' (OEM)
'Jetstar' (OEM)
And many more OEM brands.

The problem with chinese scooters is that :
-they're sold for inflated prices. Many distributors/retailers just want to make a quick buck and sell them for around or over €1000 which is way too much considering the questionable quality of many chinese brands.
-they lack a service network.
-distributors are unreliable and can disappear anytime.

There's room for 1 or 2 brands if you set up a decent service network, keep prices attractive and please stick to the original brand name. There are too many of these motor/star/jet brands around.
And most important: get a quality brand, preferably Baotian (already taken, sorry :) )!

About the numbers:
Total annual sales of 50cc vehicles: around 50000-55000

Market share:
Peugeot 24.4% (people prefer garbage)
Tomos 24.2% (mopeds)
Piaggio 12.5% (includes piaggio/Puch/Gilera/Vespa)
Yamaha 13.3%
Kymco 6.8%

Thanks a lot!! I really appreciate it, by the way the scooter I am trying to market is called Zedka, it is actually a Baotian scooter but we sell it here under the brand of Zedka. Presently we import 2 models from Baotian and sell it in Holland under Zedka brand. Do you happen to know other brand who is doing the same thing as Zedka (importing from a manufacturer and sell it on different private brand) Thanks again.

Thanks a lot!! I really appreciate it, by the way the scooter I am trying to market is called Zedka, it is actually a Baotian scooter but we sell it here under the brand of Zedka. Presently we import 2 models from Baotian and sell it in Holland under Zedka brand. Do you happen to know other brand who is doing the same thing as Zedka (importing from a manufacturer and sell it on different private brand) Thanks again.

Private label is what I called OEM.
MotorZeta (Geely),
AGM is probably also private label.
Moto(r)Mania,
Killerbee (baotian),
Sirelli (maybe baotian)

If it doesn't sound chinese, it's 90% private label. In some cases it's a chinese company's own 'foreign brand name' (Jetstar).

www.funracer.nl is negotiating with many more brands, but they don't sell them yet.

Keeway is from china
CPI is from Taiwan or do you only want scooters from China?

Up until about 2 years ago, the CPI's were made in Taiwan. CPI could not keep production in line with demand, so they contract with the Huge Chinese scooter giant "QJ" (can't think of the whole proper name right now). While in Taiwan, the CPI label went to Europe, and they also re-labeled some scoots for Mz that came to the U.S.
Now that "QJ" has been making them in China, they are cloning the heck-fire out of them and re-labeling them for anyone that puts money on the table. They share all the body work and perhaps 90% of the innards. It's the other 10% of parts that can leave you scratching your head, sometimes it's a problem, sometimes not. :)
A few companies (private label) like United Motors had lots of trouble with that 10% and we see where that led. Vento decided to spec out their model with the Yamaha 90 crank to save production line cost across models. Great for Vento, hell for the poor guy looking for tranny parts, lol.
When production shifted to China, about the same time Mz decided to drop the Mz-labeled scooter line. Curiously though, CPI turned right around and had an Austrian company design the GTR, which in turn is being manufactured at "QJ".

scootertrog

Interessting :)

I visited there site and the first thing that i saw was that CPI is manufactured in Taiwan, but the site could be out of date.

Interessting :)

I visited there site and the first thing that i saw was that CPI is manufactured in Taiwan, but the site could be out of date.

The corporate headquarters is still in Taiwan, and I'd bet the original factory is still making "something", but the bulk of their scooters are coming from mainland China. I have no issues with that, as the current crop of CPI- labeled scooters coming into the states are still good scooters. It's some of those clones you gotta be careful with, at least for the average "Joe" consumer.
We sometimes take for granted members of this forum are not the average "Joe" consumer, lol, we are enthusiast. :) What problematic issues the average consumer runs into with a lot of the cheaper Chinese-built bikes we can fix pretty easy, or at least know who to turn to for help. :)

scootertrog

Back