Another question on tuning the vario....

Mexicano

Mexicano
If I go for heavier rollers to cure the over-reving issue at 10,450 r.p.m's, do I lost power/revs at 8,000-9,000 r.p.m's?

Is it best to switch to a harder/stiffer spring at clutch pulleys instead of using heavier rollers?

Thanks,

Advertisement - register to remove this

Frank:Yes, I know this is a trial & error issue...but would like to know what is the effect with each change, from a "theorical" point of view

if you have a wide powerband that won't be the case, if feel the engine revs too much try increasing weights a small increment to see if that helps.

if you change to a stiffer spring that would make the problem even worse.

I switched from 3.6 Grs. to 4.5 grs. and the bike got much better...even more stronger and power...I'M DOING WHELIS NOW!!!!

Do you think I will get better if I go for let's say 5.0 or 5.4 Grs.?

Aloha, Mexicano. I usually find my power curve RPM band
and adjust my rollers to "grab" at just under the mid-point
in the power band. You can accuratly find your power band
by blocking your variator and thus causing your motor to rev
through the power band rather than using the vario effect.

frank

Mexicano said:
I switched from 3.6 Grs. to 4.5 grs. and the bike got much better...even more stronger and power...I'M DOING WHELIS NOW!!!!

Do you think I will get better if I go for let's say 5.0 or 5.4 Grs.?

you add weight until you feel a small deterioration in performance it just means you're running too much weight the vario shifts gears too soon the engine can't get into the powerband, the trick to vario tuning is to make the transmission stay inside the powerband of the engine.

if i feel i'm close to the ideal roller set-up i just incrementally add or subtract weight 1 roller at a time, not 3, not 6 but just 1 roller, this may sound contradictory & strange to you all but it works for me.

my set-up uses tandem rollers meaning 2 rollers of the same weight are positioned directly opposite to each other to achieve balance so when i need to change the weight a very small amount say .5g or .3g i just take out 1 roller instead of 3 or 6 rollers like what you normally do (i was doing the same thing you did 5 years ago).

for example i have 2 x 5.1g, 2 x 3.7g & 2 x 2.7g, if i just wanted to add .3g to the total roller weight i just change one 2.7g roller to a 3.0g roller. do you get me on this one?

you'll hear a lot flak on this type of approach b'coz they are not used to this but people fear what they do not understand, tuning will not evolve if they played it safe all the time & if that were the case we'd still be stuck with straight tubed exhaust pipes instead of the cutting edge chamber pipes we take for granted.

tiba_karotsu said:
you add weight until you feel a small deterioration in performance it just means you're running too much weight the vario shifts gears too soon the engine can't get into the powerband, the trick to vario tuning is to make the transmission stay inside the powerband of the engine.

if i feel i'm close to the ideal roller set-up i just incrementally add or subtract weight 1 roller at a time, not 3, not 6 but just 1 roller, this may sound contradictory & strange to you all but it works for me.

my set-up uses tandem rollers meaning 2 rollers of the same weight are positioned directly opposite to each other to achieve balance so when i need to change the weight a very small amount say .5g or .3g i just take out 1 roller instead of 3 or 6 rollers like what you normally do (i was doing the same thing you did 5 years ago).

for example i have 2 x 5.1g, 2 x 3.7g & 2 x 2.7g, if i just wanted to add .3g to the total roller weight i just change one 2.7g roller to a 3.0g roller. do you get me on this one?

you'll hear a lot flak on this type of approach b'coz they are not used to this but people fear what they do not understand, tuning will not evolve if they played it safe all the time & if that were the case we'd still be stuck with straight tubed exhaust pipes instead of the cutting edge chamber pipes we take for granted.

Tiba,
While I understand what you are saying, and I trust your advice 100%, I do have a couple of questions about this method.
1. Are you finding the "odd" roller to be the first one to flat-spot?
2. Do you experience any sort of vibrations or out-of-balance issues?
3. Do you just keep changing out the one roller until you find the weight that works, or do you alternate the oddball roller with another of unequal weight? Have you found a limitation to this type of setting up?

scootertrog

Back