Yamaha BWS top speed

stepheva

First off, I'd like to say hello to everyone on the forum. This is my first post on a scooter form. Greetings from Ontario Canada! I have been riding bikes for a long time, and got rid of all of them a couple of years ago. Then this spring, the rising gas prices got me thinking of a scoot to go to work and back. Previously, I had owned a Yamaha BWS (2003), and I knew in stock form it was capable of 65km/h. So, I bought another 2003 BWS with 500km on it, that had sat for 3 years. I drained all the gas and injection oil and changed it out. Bike runs top notch. But for some reason, it will only do 60km/h on the flats WOT. I had the carb off, and all the jets are pristine. Filter is clean as well, and the carb is fully opening. Seems to me that when it reaches 50km/h and it's WOT, it's not really performing as it should. Took the belt out tonight. The belt was really shaking. Seems that from sitting for so long, it has retained an oval shape. Also, there was a fair bit of belt shavings in the case, and the variator side of the belt is nicely rounded already at 700km. Possible the belt hardened and wore out quicker? I'm contemplating putting on a Polini 248.040.1 kevlar belt, and also some CF reeds. Do you guys think the belt alone will get me back up to 65km/hr or 44mph? Or could I have missed something? I don't want to drop tons of $$ in this thing, as I bought it to save $$ Any help is appreciated. Neil

Advertisement - register to remove this

You might have an extra washer in the vario, this was put on to limit the speed and there might be a restrictor on the exhaust. Where abouts are you in Ont. I am near Niagara Falls

downtown

top speed

There is no extra washer in the vario. Maybe it has to do with my weight? I am 185 lbs. I let a guy ride it who was only 115, and he was cruising at 70-75. I would imagine that those of you doing 90km/hr have done the big bore upgrade?

consider installing another variator and belt, both from malossi. Also, remove every restriction you can to increase top speed ;)

And yes, your weight does influence your speed.
My racing bw's goes 120 km/h :)

cdi

if you have a 50cc BWS than MAYBE it's your CDI, I heard it has a REV limiter. 100cc BWS on the other hand doesnt have limiters.

Back