Yamaha Aerox 2012 - sport tuning configuration advice needed

Silkk

Hello,

I own a Yamaha Aerox 2012 model (bought new) that is completely stock, except the exhaust which is a Leo Vince GP (yeah, I know this is a less favored model - but I do like its GP design :) ) - that I do not intend to replace (if not mandatory to do so, given a new sport setup).
I am looking for an upgrade that should allow me:
1. more acceleration power and/or torque
2. large powerband
3. full reliability and low maintenance (as close as the original setup)
4. avoid getting quickly out of the powerband

I am not particulary looking for top speed, as this is already somewhere around 55mph (85-90km/h) which is more than enough for me (read by the digital KOSO speedo)

Therefore, I have decided to build my scooter around a 70cc sport setup, consisting of an cast-iron cylinder kit suitable for daily use and a 17.5mm carb (Dell'Orto PHVA 17.5mm L-DEL1389). My questions in here are what should be your recommendations for the:

1. iron-cast cylinder kit: Malossi Sport 70cc, Top Performances Black Trophy 70cc, DR Evolution 70cc or Stage6 Streetrace 70cc. My exhaust is reaching it's maximum power at ~9k rpm (in stock configuration), as shown here: http://www.pedparts.co.uk/ekmps/shops/thebikeshop/resources/Design/dyn1.jpg

2. variator: Malossi Multivar with Malossi kevlar reinforced belt or Top Performances TPR GP kit (aluminum and Bando made drive belt included)

Besides the carb, cylinder kit and variator, is there anything else recommended to be changed?
Is it necessary to go for a gear-up kit also, or not really?

Thank you in advance!

Advertisement - register to remove this

For cilinder it does not make a big difference what you choose, for variator i would go with malossi + belt , gears is not necessary

Thanks, Danny! I guess the same goes for the air filter, no need to change the original one. What about the intake manifold set, does need to be replaced for a 17.5mm carb configuration?

Last edited:
Finally, I have reached the final configuration and have it installed:

1. Top Performances Black Trophy 70cc sport cylinder kit
2. Del'Lorto 17.5 mm carb
3. Stage6 SportPro (NBR) reed valve and intake system MKII
4. Top Performances TPR GP variator (stock belt, as the kit one was too wide)
5. Stage6 Torque Control MKII (red springs)
6. Stage6 R/T CNC clutch bell
7. Stage6 Pro Replica exhaust
8. Malossi red sponge sport filter (just replacing the original)

Two questions:

1. as I see the temperature read by my temp sensor gets up to 102-107 Celsius degrees when scooter driving through the city during very hot summer days (34-35 Celsius), even if quality coolant and Motul MoCool added as an additivive, just wanted to ask what is the critical temp for an iron cast cylinder kit like mine and how can I get the temperature lower: adding and extra radiator (like Motoforce Racing - http://www.scoot-tuning.com/MOTOFORCE-RACING-ALUMINUM-RADIATOR-p/mf29.505.htm) or going for a larger radiator (adapting one from Aprilia RS125) will be the best option? Or should I add a 12V fan in front of the stock radiator? PS: I already have an increased debit water impeller installed
2. What benefits will a full circle crankshaft will bring to my setup (I know about raising the primary compression)? I am mainly looking for a wider power-band and more lower torque/pull off, as my scoot starts moving only when reaching 7000rpm with the current setup and the maximum HP is developed within the 9400-10500rpm area. Was wondering if an HPC crank will help my pull-off and lower torque (beside obvious reliability and strength)

When you look for a lower Torque then should use the Streetrace Cylinder which is really strong there.102-17 C is imo already to high you should start to fix this immediately

I have already went installing a Top Performances Black Trophy 70cc sport cylinder kit. I guess the lower torque is also very much dependable on the pipe (maybe even more than the cylinder kit), so maybe in here a Yasuni R should have helped, but overall, I am more comfortable with the Stage6 Pro Replica for various reasons (non-rusty, high torque above 40-45km/h, even a lower price than Yasuni lower range offerings).

As for the temperature, that 107 was an absolute top reached when outside temperature was about 37C, but in the sun you were getting around 55-60C :). Nowadays, when the outside temperature goes no higher than 27-28C I usually reach an engine temperature of 75-85C after 20 minutes of average stress riding, which I guess it's pretty OK given the circumstances.

Installing an extra radiator involves a lot of extra work, an for 1 month of extra hot summer, compared to 6-7 chilly ones, it's not worthwhile the effort, in my opinion (I just keep the revs lower and ride less aggressively to keep the temperatures below 95C). I've mixed Motul MoCool (5%) with the coolant, but this makes little to no difference in my opinion (but I still have to "investigate" on this topic).

Back