Vento ZIP Project

Mexicano

Mexicano
Hello!, Yesterday I started this new project, my son's ZIP.....originally the scooter is 50 m.m. bore x 41 m.m. stroke, air cooled minarelli, the scooter was only on a UNI air filter and a crappy chinese pipe, the performance was o.k, with my son's weight of only 100 lbs. the top speed was 85 k.p.h.

The initial set up is going to be as follows:

52 m.m. bore (exhaust ported)
Piston teflon buttons
43 m.m. stroke
Ceramic main bearings
Polini reed valve
PWK 24 m.m. carb
K& N air filter
Ported and polished stock manifold
HPI ignition
Nology Hot Wire
Leo Vince Pipe
Denso Iridium spark plug
Malossi boost bottle
Malossi clutch springs
Polini varietor rollers

STARTING THE PROCESS:

DSC03193.jpg

DSC03195.jpg

DSC03198.jpg

NOW THE ENGINE IS OUT:

DSC03197.jpg

AFTER SOME WASHING:
DSC03199.jpg

ON THE "WORK BENCH":
DSC03201.jpg

DSC03202.jpg

THE VARIO SIDE:
DSC03203.jpg

AFTER SOME CLEANING
DSC03204.jpg

THE STOCK CRANK VIEW:
DSC03205.jpg

THE SMALL EXHAUST PORT (STOCK):
DSC03206.jpg

50 M.M.BORE:
DSC03209.jpg

THE NEW CYLINDER, 52 M.M. WITH A BIGGER EXHAUST PORT
DSC03211.jpg

DSC03210.jpg

THE NEW CRANK WITH CERAMIC BEARINGS:
DSC03214.jpg

DSC03213.jpg

READY TO BE ASSEMBLED AGAIN:
DSC03215.jpg

THE POLINI REED CAGE:
DSC03217.jpg

THE NEW CRANK & CYLINDER ARE IN:
DSC03221.jpg

DSC03219.jpg

THE "MODIFIED MANIFOLD" AND CARB:
DSC03224.jpg

DSC03227.jpg

I will keep posting more pics later, now let's do more...

Last edited:
Advertisement - register to remove this

it's allready looking nice ;)
i love those rims! bought the zip new?
btw, a question: does it flow straight from carb to manifold? because the manifold's standard( i think)
good luck..
greetz ken

TomiiY:The scooter is 2004, the manifold is standard, the carb is PWK 24 m.m. and will use a K&N air filter.

Weksel: Scooter is a Vento, model ZIP R3i, minarelli air cooled engine.

Mr. Aerox: The new cylinder is from a Vento Triton R4i, Vento claims that their Triton's are 100 c.c. but they aren't. I got the cylinder from a Vento dealer.

The ZIP's engine is sock 41 m.m. stroke x 50 m.m. bore = 80.53 c.c., now it is 43 m.m. stroke x 52 m.m. bore = 91.35 c.c.

THE PISTON & THEIR TEFLONS:
DSC03028.jpg

THE SPARK PLUG AND WIRE:
DSC03032.jpg

THE IGNITION:
DSC03035.jpg

Ignition's CDI is defective, i'm waiting for another CDI from HPI factory, in the mean time I will use the stock ignition and a Malossi CDI unit

THE MANIFOLD BEFORE PORTING:
394393a2.jpg

THE MANIFOLD AFTER PORTING, STILL NEEDS SOME FINE POLISHING:
DSC03229.jpg

POLISHED MANIFOLD:

DSC03236.jpg

THE BOOST BOTTLE:
DSC03235.jpg

THE MALOSSI RED SPRING CLUTCH:
DSC03230.jpg

The engine is ready to be installed again, some drilling at the vario case to aid cooling.

DSC03231.jpg

Last edited:
Browni: When I installed the HPI it seems to work fine but when I tried to shut down the engine it didn't, the black/white wire do not work, so I disconected the coil to shut it down, the day after it didn't start the engine anymore....HPI guys said the CDI module is defective....not it will cost me 60 euros for shipping!!!! :-(

Mexicano said:
Browni: When I installed the HPI it seems to work fine but when I tried to shut down the engine it didn't, the black/white wire do not work, so I disconected the coil to shut it down, the day after it didn't start the engine anymore....HPI guys said the CDI module is defective....not it will cost me 60 euros for shipping!!!! :-(

Oh ;(

rydah: I haven't try the scoot yet..maybe in the next 2-3 days....I will let you know.

The boost bottle helps a little with hard acceleration from low r.p.m's...this little device doesn't "help" a lot by it self..as many other items.....remember that tuning an engine is a matter of "combination" of small changes.

Back