Post Photos of your Porting Tools!

that angled handpiece would it fit my dremel flexshaft? if so i'm quite interested in buying one.

To my knowledge, they don't have a piece like the angled one to fit a dremel tool that is adequate for our cylinders. The handpiee shown is for the Foredom motor/flexshaft. I use the dremel for minor touch up work and cleaning, etc. It's taking the place of the mandrels, emory cloth, rubber abrasives, and polishing wheels for now, as I have not yet received them.

I should have properly captioned the last photo of the dremel tool. I placed it there to show the abrasive buffs that I was using at the moment. They work fairly well, and it goes pretty smoothly into the areas of the carters that I've toyed with so far, but it would be completely useless when doing porting work -- the abrasive buff would not even fit into the transfers.

@Mr.Aerox I'm curious to see your copy of the foredom set. I actually saw a 1/3 HP motor at Harbor Freight for $60. A foot petal from a sewing machine would serve the same purpose as the one for the Foredom set -- same principals operate both! It's just like having a fan switch or whatnot on a fan to adjust speed. You could buy a cheap motor, and build a special box to plug it into with a fan switch and a 110v outlet (I know it's all different over the pond, but change the numbers so it suites your country!) Wire the fan switch to an electrial plug and use that to plug into the wall (after you're done building, of course) Then wire the fan switch to an electrical outlet that is build in the 'box' with your fan switch, and you have a variable voltage outlet that is adjusted by turning the fan switch, left would be less RPM on the motor, and right would give you more. You could even mark what speeds give what RPM on your switch.

I also thought of doing something similar for a soldering station, since you don't want to use more heat then required for doing a lot of smaller work. Fan switch could be like a "Temperature" switch, whereas on the motor setup it would be an "RPM" switch. The expensive irons with the good base station and all cost around $70. It would cost less than $10 to build the box mentioned above.

If you have some kind of "Single Speed" motor, you could make it variable speed by doing the same thing, provided that (like the Foredom) you could get full torque at low RPM.

The thing that holds so many people back from thier own explorations of things like porting, or powdercoating, or whatnot, is that a lot of information seems hard to get. All the "Tips and Tricks" aren't as easy to get as we'd like. Then there's always the money issue. Most people have that issue! That's why I love these forums; they're full of good information, and there's not another site quite like this. It was driving me nuts this weekend when the site was down. :p There are also a lot of books out there, and some other sites, like www.macdizzy.com that give a LOAD of good info. Also read "2 Stroke Performance Tuning" by A. Graham Bell. Combine that with these forums and you've got all you really need.

As far as the powdercoating, the major setback there is an oven. In the US you need 220 volts to operate a good oven to cure parts in. Having someone come out and wire in a new plug so you can get that voltage can be pricey... but otherwise, any old beat up oven that works will do just fine. I'm very eager to post the results of my powdercoating projects, but it will have to wait untill I finish my garage at home, because I have my oven there. For small parts, a toaster oven does well. I may do a little work on a carb bowl or something, just to show. My goal though, is the engine block, etc...

/rant :p

I'm currently pricing burettes... cheapest I've found so far is $15 USD for an acrylic one, I may go for it. Anyone have any insigt on good burettes to use? I imagine the one I found would do okay... http://wardsci.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_IG0002982_A_Acrylic+Buret They have these things for over $300 in some places, with digital measuring and all kinds of crazy stuff!

I sincerely hope that nobody else on the forums is quite so hopeless as to respond to thier own quote! ;)

I ended up purchasing the burete from warsci.com, and the order shipped a few days after paying. That was a hair slow for me, but I should get it by Tuesday. I will post photos when it arrives, and let you know how everything goes with it. It's acrylic instead of glass, so you prolly don't want to put anything harsh in it, but for measuring CC's of combustion chambers, etc, good old water will do fine.

I opted not to buy the stand and all the little 'extras' that come with it. You can buy a bulb that fits the top of the burete to suck up water, but again, I opted out trying to keep cost down. I'm hoping that acrylic will last longer with me than glass. :) I'd hate to drop a glass one that costs twice as much! :D

I will also post photos of my dial indicator and degree wheels soon. I like the cheaper degree wheel over the motion pro one! Photos to come...

To my knowledge, they don't have a piece like the angled one to fit a dremel tool that is adequate for our cylinders. The handpiee shown is for the Foredom motor/flexshaft. I use the dremel for minor touch up work and cleaning, etc. It's taking the place of the mandrels, emory cloth, rubber abrasives, and polishing wheels for now, as I have not yet received them.

I should have properly captioned the last photo of the dremel tool. I placed it there to show the abrasive buffs that I was using at the moment. They work fairly well, and it goes pretty smoothly into the areas of the carters that I've toyed with so far, but it would be completely useless when doing porting work -- the abrasive buff would not even fit into the transfers.

i both have the Dremel Multipro & the Dremel Mototool Professional the big one which is just like the Foredom porting tool you use, i am just curious to know if the Foredom angled handpiece will fit my flexshaft as Dremel doesn't offer an angled handpiece for my Mototool.

i both have the Dremel Multipro & the Dremel Mototool Professional the big one which is just like the Foredom porting tool you use, i am just curious to know if the Foredom angled handpiece will fit my flexshaft as Dremel doesn't offer an angled handpiece for my Mototool.

Oh! I diddn't know Dremel had a tool similar to the Foredom. The female "plug" on the handpiece is just over 10mm, probably 11mm or so, and the flex shaft protrudes roughly 3/4 of an inch from the 'sheath'.

[ir]http://www.scooterinvasion.net/pics/P1010006.jpg[/ir]

If the end of your flex shaft measures similarly to the one I've described, it will most likely work. You're in Hawii, right? I can PM you several US links that will get you the same handpiece for cheaper than CC Specialty sold it for... again though, I have to stress that the customer service from CC Specialty is very good. :)

Regards

Oh! I diddn't know Dremel had a tool similar to the Foredom. The female "plug" on the handpiece is just over 10mm, probably 11mm or so, and the flex shaft protrudes roughly 3/4 of an inch from the 'sheath'.

If the end of your flex shaft measures similarly to the one I've described, it will most likely work. You're in Hawii, right? I can PM you several US links that will get you the same handpiece for cheaper than CC Specialty sold it for... again though, I have to stress that the customer service from CC Specialty is very good. :)

Regards

here are some pics of my porting tools, later i will show pics of the burrs i use when i clean up my corner of the shop it's in shambles right now.

dsc01928lb8.jpg

dsc01929ar2.jpg

dsc01930ab8.jpg

i will measure my end of the flexshaft, i just hope the angled handpiece fits, keeping my fingers crossed.

btw Hawaii you say? much farther than that i'm afraid, it's the other island on the western pacific rim called The Philippines. anyway thanks for the help i'll let you know if i need more.

Tiba,

It looks like it will fit! Hopefully it will. If you need more precise measurements, I'll measure with a dial caliper and post results, just let me know.

Very nice setup by the way! I've been looking at different ways to hang my motor. Right now, I'm using some wire hanging from the ceiling. ;)

Dunno why I thought you were from Hawii, sorry for the mix up.

I got a chance to snap a photo of the dial indicator and degree wheels.

Here's the indicator. It's one of the "entry level" tools, but it has a magnetic base that you can switch on and off, and it works great! I got this one from Parts Unlimited. Could have probably found one cheaper, but wouldn't have received it as fast without paying priority shipping.
[ir]http://www.scooterinvasion.net/pics/indicator/P1010001.JPG[/ir]

The degree wheels. The clear one fits on my crank easier, so I rather tend to like it better. Cost less than the Motion Pro one too.
[ir]http://www.scooterinvasion.net/pics/indicator/P1010003.JPG[/ir]

Burete will be here Tuesday. :)

IMO, you could have made yourself a degree wheel in less than half an hour with zero $. Also you can measure combustion chamber/head volume with a syringe, you can get those in different sizes -> cheaper, accurate enough, easier to get.

IMO, you could have made yourself a degree wheel in less than half an hour with zero $. Also you can measure combustion chamber/head volume with a syringe, you can get those in different sizes -> cheaper, accurate enough, easier to get.

Well, sure, but the ones I bought are so nice compared to one I'd home make. :) Did you get that Proxxon tool yet?

The plastic degree wheel was $10 usd, so it was worth it. Motion Pro one wasn't worth it, but it's made of aluminum... $20ish.

I will be making a piston stop out of an old cylinder head. :)

Nope, unfortunately I didn't get a proxxon tool yet because of my limited budget, that will have to wait for a while. What can you do, student life :)

For a piston stop, look at mine, took me a 15 minutes to make it.

ResizeofDSC05398.jpg

ResizeofDSC05400.jpg

For a piston stop, look at mine, took me a 15 minutes to make it.

Pretty neat! I'll be sure to post photos of mine when I get around to making it. I know what you mean about limited budget, except it's no longer 'student life' for me, it's 'family life'. :)

For my piston stop, I considered cutting 'triangles' out of the head, so that when you look at it from the top it will look like a "X". I will cut the fins off of the head and then use the foredom tools to smooth it all out and make it look nicer. Haven't decided yet as to wheter or not I will use a 14mm bolt as the actual stop. I may come up with an alternative, we'll see.

A very late photo of the burete from Wardsci.com:

[ir]http://www.scooterinvasion.net/pics/burete.jpg[/ir]

Tiba - any word on whether or not the tool will fit your motor?

I did some more looking at the Harbor Freight tool for $70ish.
40432.gif
The hand piece from CC looks like it will fit this inexpensive motor. I plan on taking the hand piece into the store and seeing if it snaps in well enough. :)

The above motor, should it work, might be a nice alternative to the $350+ machines. I'm sure the quality doesn't compare to the Foredom or the CC Specialty motors, I suppose we'll find out one of these days. :) The motor is 1/4 HP, 5/32 Chuck Capacity and operates at 120v/60hz. Up to 15000 RPM.

I finally got the blast cabinet setup. :)

[ir]http://www.scooterinvasion.net/pics/blast/P1010012.JPG[/ir]

It works great! I still haven't gotten any more pieces from CC Specialty, but I have several other things I need to take care of right now.

Anyone have any tools to show? I've been wanting one of those tools that is used to compress the clutch while you remove the nut so that the bell housing does not fly away when you get the nut off. :p Scooter-Center has these. Anyone know where to get it in the States?

[ir]http://scooter-center.com/catalog/images/products/big9667-0.jpg[/ir]

Cheers!

~Josh

Hi Tiba,

I called in and ordered my handpiece from CC Specialty tools. The tool can be seen here: http://www.ccspecialtytool.com/pages/page04.html. I paid the $88 for it, gladly. The customer service at CC Specialty is excellent, and I'm sure the others who have purchased from them will agree! The 55mc is the one I have.

There are a few places you can buy from that are cheaper...
http://www.lopacki.com/foredom/handpieces/#ang is one of many sites to find with Google when searching for "Foredom Handpiece" You can also use "55" and get different results.

Even though I have found less expensive places to get supplies from, I'm staying faithful to CC Specialty because you can tell them what you're cutting and what your needs are, and they will understand what tools you need to suite your cause. Most of the other sites I have found are woodworking sites and such. CC Specialty also handles orders internationally, so I'm sure they would have no problems getting things to you. :)

The tool works pretty good with patience. If you look earlier in this thread, you can find a couple of movies showing it removing material from a carter. (I use a different tool for the carters, but wanted to use it as an example to show the tool working).

All the Best!

~Josh

Back