Performance ignitions

The picture of the new Polini ignition shows an outer rotor, not inner rotor. I've begun to doubt whether it'll ever hit the market. The delay suggests something is wrong.

pinkymingeo said:
The picture of the new Polini ignition shows an outer rotor, not inner rotor. I've begun to doubt whether it'll ever hit the market. The delay suggests something is wrong.

It is inner rotor not outer rotor, read on polini web site.. it sais it is the only one with an internal rotor having specifications ensuring a power able to allow headlights functioning. I ordered one and it will come next week..

tiba_karotsu said:
it's been definitely delayed for too long so it means there're problems they need to iron out before they release it out on the market.
....Finally it's out, i've checked in scooter-attack and it's available now...

I just think the Mk Inner Rotor kit with Lights would be much better than Polini. My Mk will arrive next week. Both for Pia and Mina engines.

lets just see in about 2 weeks how both ignition will perform.

I agree with pinkymingeo...it is not an inner rotor:

PoliniRacingIgnition2.jpg

PoliniFlywheel.jpg

PoliniFlywheel2.jpg

PoliniCoils.jpg

PoliniCDI.jpg

Sure is pretty, though. I went ahead and ordered an MVT, which is 130euro prettier. I have a street scooter, and no need for lots of curves. Can't be retuning every day. Just want to get on the pipe quicker. The basic MVT should do the job fine.

Nobody knows anything about it. I assume it's made by PVL. Kundo was working with them on a 2-curve for a while, but I understand that fell through. I have an HMin with the stock timing advanced 3 degrees. Gets me into the powerband quicker (Evo/C20), but costs me 300-400rpm on top. I think any curve is better than fixed timing.

alonso said:
yas but metrakit ignition is far more expencive than polini.. almost 500 € with pc interface ..

500euros? hmmm i'll see when i get the ignitions but i dont think it would be more than 400euros. i'll get back to this thread as soon as i have them.

when my customer receives his kit from MT i'll be sure to get the MK inner rotor ignition, MT okayed it for use on his 2F4R kits & i like to try new things, full PC interface sounds very interesting. :D

I just got my MVT for Yamaha HMin and it won't fire. Tried my Malossi CDI instead of the MVT. No dice. My rotor doesn't have holes like the one in the picture, and my Yamaha rotor puller won't fit. Different threads. Had to use a 2-jaw to get it off. I'm thinking I may have the wrong rotor. Does anybody know?

Would the Millenium work on an horizontal Minarelli with mechanical water pump ?
With my sound system I need all the wattage that I can get !

Thanks
Juan

pinkymingeo said:
I just got my MVT for Yamaha HMin and it won't fire. Tried my Malossi CDI instead of the MVT. No dice. My rotor doesn't have holes like the one in the picture, and my Yamaha rotor puller won't fit. Different threads. Had to use a 2-jaw to get it off. I'm thinking I may have the wrong rotor. Does anybody know?

That sucks. Are you hooking it up to you wiring harness. Is this still on the zuma? the kill is backwards from other minas (ground v not ground). I can't remember but I just know I have to ground a wire off the cdi to hot wire it.

There are 2 kinds of minarelli types, the MotoMinarelli and the Yamaha. Did you order the minarelli-minarelli? or the Yamaha Minarelli. But with the MVT the flyhweel should be matched to the CDI so It shouldn't matter right? But I do notice that they have 2 different parts in the SIP catalog for the different motor types.

The MotoMinarelli flywheel threads are much smaller in diameter. So if your puller was too big then it's probably the one for MotoMinarelli rather than the Yamaha minarelli. (if that matters at all!). If you ordered the wrong one I may be interested in it for my malaguti, if you wanted to unload it at a discount if you can't return it.

A Yamaha flywheel ought to be a Yamaha flywheel. I'm gonna check the engine ground. The stock Yamaha stator grounds through a black wire. The MVT doesn't use it. There's a blank in the harness. Must ground to the engine through the mounting screws. I'll try a gound wire to the engine and see if that does the trick.

Maybe somebody knows MVT. Here's my situation. Standard Yamaha ignition. All connectors fit. Wire colors match. Will not run at all on the MVT CDI. Runs badly on my Malossi CDI, but at least runs, with the lighting coil disconnected. Dies instantly when the lighting coil is attached. What's happening?

pinkymingeo said:
A Yamaha flywheel ought to be a Yamaha flywheel. I'm gonna check the engine ground. The stock Yamaha stator grounds through a black wire. The MVT doesn't use it. There's a blank in the harness. Must ground to the engine through the mounting screws. I'll try a gound wire to the engine and see if that does the trick.

But if you ordered for a minarelli with ducati ignitition then you won't have a yamaha flywheel. The wiring harness for the zuma is different than most other yamahas. I have four minarelli PM tuning cdi's in front of me right now and none of them have any sort of wiring that matches the zuma. I'm sure I could get them to work but it's for sure not plug n play.

Back