Is this a charging problem?

abbbe

Hi guys ;)

for some reason if my malaguti phantom f12 is left for just a couple of days the battery goes flat :(

At first I thought it was the battery so I replaced it then when it happened again I thought maybe the new battery was faulty so I changed it for a new one. |(

The battery goes down to about 0.4v.

I've tried charging the battery and leaving it off the scooter for a couple of days and its holding the full charge . I've also used a multimeter and tested to see if there is a drain while the battery was on the scooter . but there isn't any drain. |(

I used the multimeter today to see what king of a charge the battery is getting while the engine is running , with the engine not running I'm getting 12.3v and with the engine at idle I'm getting 13.4v.

Is 13.4v enough to charge the battery?

Advertisement - register to remove this

Hi guys ;)

for some reason if my malaguti phantom f12 is left for just a couple of days the battery goes flat :(

At first I thought it was the battery so I replaced it then when it happened again I thought maybe the new battery was faulty so I changed it for a new one. |(

The battery goes down to about 0.4v.

I've tried charging the battery and leaving it off the scooter for a couple of days and its holding the full charge . I've also used a multimeter and tested to see if there is a drain while the battery was on the scooter . but there isn't any drain. |(

I used the multimeter today to see what king of a charge the battery is getting while the engine is running , with the engine not running I'm getting 12.3v and with the engine at idle I'm getting 13.4v.

Is 13.4v enough to charge the battery?

13,4 V sounds good. But there is a drain. You haven't modified the electric system in any way?

Thanks for your reply ;)

I have fitted an alarm to the scooter but I tested it by removing the alarm. |(

Having said that it has been very windy where I live and its been making my alarm go off, but surely after riding the scooter it would put that charge back. :!

Are the cells dry? How old is the battery? When was the last time it was put on a charger?

13.4 - 14.4 is perfect for charging, sounds like your battery has been dryboiled / no water. If the electrolyte is still in there and still not holding its charge, then its probably time to buy a new battery :)

Back