Honda X8R Cutting Out Problem

joewright91

Hey, ive got a Honda X8R-S. Just got it back on the road after over a year in the garage, got tax and MOT but now seems to have an electrical problem. The Deal is, the bike will start up nicely run and drive. Say a drive 2 miles down the road the bike will completely cut out and loose power too everything, then once the bike has stopped i can flick the indicators on brake light and all that now work. The bike will start up again easily and drive for another mile until it does it again, then the distances get shorter and shorter and keeps doing it more, until it does it once and the bike doesnt start at all. I then leave the bike for a while and it will start up again with a bit of pursausion from the kickstart. Ive checked all of the connections in the front panel of the bike where the battery is located and all of the seem good. im now thinking around where the ?alternator? the thing near the engine itself could be at fault, anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this ? Thanks for taking the time to read this, look forward to some answers so i can get scooting problem free again :)

Advertisement - register to remove this

Hey, No ideas anyone?. I keep thinking that it must be something to do with the heat being caused by the bike as the distance between it happening get shorter and shorter. Thanks.

You could try strapping a voltmeter to the handlebars. Read
voltage out of generator, then out out regulator.. see
where it's getting interrupted.

Might be worth while checking all the connectors between
generator and battery. Contact corrosion is the only thing
I can think of that could get worse just sitting there.

Last edited:
Back