holding power: 2G vs delta

The most interesting forum in a while

browni's point is made clearly in the fact that your clutch shouldn't be engaging at no lower then 6,500 unless u got low reving cylinder and exhaust any high end exhaust wont make power until at least 6,500 and the whole point of a racing variator/ clutch setup is to keep the engine on peak rpm where it makes the most hp most highend exhaust like hebo 4r yasuni c20 rpm is de key as i know because of weeks of trying to get my 50 cc kit tuned inot a c20 pipe wit a 12 mil carb and stock variator and rear clutch low reving pipe then offcourse i can agree wit that theory 6,500 but there is no way your scoot will launch properly wit a high end pipe unless your take off revs r up around at least 8,000 but keep this topic goin everyoe got different theory's on setups and its very interesting ive adjusted the pivot arms on my metrakit clutch to give more slip but it actually launches better so everyone keep yah cool and give some more input

Rwade: 8000 is too low. My (mhr team) zip launches at full powerband. You can't even feel the change when the clutch locks and the variator gets to work. And I have delta clutch, no weights and white springs.

roost said:
Rwade: 8000 is too low. My (mhr team) zip launches at full powerband. You can't even feel the change when the clutch locks and the variator gets to work. And I have delta clutch, no weights and white springs.

if it launches at full powerband then in cornering how do you prevent the clutch from disengaging ?

roost said:

roost it was just for an example my clutch slips way higher then 8,000 and it sounds like your scoots setup how i do because my bike just stays on max revs once u launch it unless u let go of throttle but the difference is i have the hardest springs metrakit make and they r adjusted to the max for my 50 i need as much rpm as possible but for your factory team zip its a pieace of cake

my old Delta clutch which i used for many years is badly bent (shoes are bent sideways) because this clutch has no triangular gusset plate & i used plain malossi clutch bell (no reinforcing rings) but clutch lining still has full contact with clutch bell, it still launches fairly well but we decided to replace with new clutch (with gusset plate) & wingbell using stock weights & blue clutch springs set at lowest position with gusset plate & reinforcing ring it prevents the clutch shoes from bending so lining always remains in full contact, yes it got a bit heavier but it's performing better & for me it's good enough to get the job done. it engages just right where powerband starts with C21 pipe (good thing this pipe has wide powerband), with these settings it has awesome takeoff with full clutch lock-up at full throttle it spins the rear tires (TT91GP) easily so my rider compensates with careful throttle input. we competed at yesterdays' dragrace in the 90cc class (up to 95cc allowed) & not one beat us at acceleration off the line & they were also fast at take off as well (racers here know the importance of getting the holeshot), we were the only 70cc scooter in the 90cc class (there were 12 of them) but we beat them all & took the championship.

time to time we experience a degree of clutch slippage 'coz the clutch bell is glazed so what i do is just take off the clutch bell & use sandpaper to resurface & remove the glazed surface & the clutch performs well again. roadracers here prefer the Polini 2G & we dragracers the Malossi Delta clutch (for yamaha jogs), each have their unique characteristics that makes them perform better on a certain application.

every set-up is different & so are the people that tune them so you can't expect everybody to agree on the same thing each has their own prefences that's why sometimes we argue all the time which's good or bad depending on the circumstances.

Rwade
If You Want Higher Rpm From Your Metrakit Clutch Use The Doppler Clutch Springs They Are The Same As Metrakit But There Is 1 Grade Stronger Than The Strongest Mk Springs Youll Get Approx 800/1000 Rpm Higher Engagement With These Fitted They Also Fit Polini 3 Shoe Speed Clutch With Good Results
Our 50cc Set Ups Need Higher Rpm Bite Due To Little Torque Compared To 70cc Set Ups
Mini Moto Racers Spend Time Filing Down The Shiny Contact Areas Of The Pads Until 100% Contact Is Achieved Against The Bell,this Is Something Im Going To Try Next.

doppler springs

right now i have the highest grade of metrakit spring and yes because of having a 50 cc we have to slip it more but the thing is i have had problems wit clutch slip before but since ive adjusted the arms that reduced the slip substancially the bike launches real good now but might try that on my race 70 just need to find out if the stock forks can come apart on a runner

butch-182 said:
Youve seen them break? Id love to see a picture of one broken, sorry but i dont believe that.. Yes there is a 3g, and no its not speed control, thats a variator....

I think im going with the polini 2/3g, Whats the best for a fully tuned setup guys?

My bad I meant Speed Clutch. ANyways, over here there's 2 Polini clutches: 2G and the Speed Clutch with 3 segments, which is far better than the 2G.

Don't believe it? Well that not my problem, I'm just warning people. Again, it might have been a friday afternoon example, but it did break and seeing the construction (piece of the clutch where the springs tension is on that is just bend 90 degrees, so that's bound to break). A friend of mine had his one reweleded.

Folkert@MinaRally said:
Tiba, wazzup man, long time! How's the 'blade doing?

My little Gixxer is doing just fine.

(sorry for the offtopic)

off-topic i'm very sorry.

Folkert,

the CBR's doing fine it's gathering dust inside the house as we speak waiting for the Polini Ti slip-on & the Renthal 15T front sprocket i ordered last month. new addition are only a Goodridge front brakeline kit & nothing more but we had a paddock stand made for it & it looks cool.

have you done any upgrades on the Gixxer like new tires & suspension?

Back