hello everyone

scootertrog

Missouri, USA
Greeting fellow scooter riders! Just thought I would introduce myself. I live in the U.S. and have 2 Kymco Super 9 (L.C.)
Looking forward to communicating with you guys over in Europe about scootering, as we just don't have much over here.....yet. :)

Advertisement - register to remove this

Emo,
You are correct, I lurk on the Aprilia form also. I am trying to hang around the more technically oriented ones to learn more. I run a forum that is S9 specific on the yahoo groups also.

Rydah,
I can't say for sure about the design orgin, but it is liquid-cooled and quite robust in construction. I know that in Kymco's beginning, they were making some engines for Honda, but I don't know how far that carried over into the product line. I'm not familiar with the Dio to compare, but the ZX model in the U.S. is air-cooled.

Another American , welcome scootertrog

It’s good to see more Americans are all getting on board with scooter performance tuning, especially with automatics.

I ride one of the two Vespa Haus Super 9s for Tommy and am also trying to get involved with tuning vs purely being a pilot. Tommy is a great asset and I know all his tips and tricks, but at the same time I can't just emulate what he does, I need to learn for myself. That is why I am here

I am hoping to bring in a zip or two and start working more with bolt on configurations.
Anyone in EU willing to send over zips I could rebuild for race? let me know, we can't get Zip SP or any other zip in the USA.

I can tell you that for us to do everything we did to those two super 9s we used lots of equipment from other manufactures, lathes, welding, porting and about 1metric ton of JB Weld. You cannot get any performance parts of any quality to bolt on. Lots of engine case shaving, and fabricating. We are talking about 50 hours of machine work and fabricating to get our choice of cylinder, reed block, Multivar and ignition all fitted on a super 9 engine. Super 9s are not very popular scooters for racing in Europe so parts are not made that bolt right on. When I started racing the Super 9 all we could find was an Iron ring MHR replica barrel and some mild exhaust systems, there is not a lot out there.

Team Vespa Haus’s “roller melter”
http://scoot.net/gallery/pic.html?pic=90697&b=2004/07/mayhem/rye/tinyindex.html

http://scoot.net/gallery/pic.html?pic=90698&b=2004/07/mayhem/rye/tinyindex.html

http://scoot.net/gallery/pic.html?pic=90843&b=2004/07/mayhem/Grant_Simpson/tinyindex.html

Me on my Super 9
http://scoot.net/gallery/pic.html?pic=91464&b=2004/07/mayhem/Bryan_Haile/tinyindex.html

Mayhem racing footage, mostly stock
http://video.onsight-media.com/milehighmayhem7.htm

Last edited:
Hey there 1957vespa!
I don't recall seeing your call-sign on the Yahoo super 9 site. Is Tom holding out on you? :)
There are some bolt-ons, but obviously to win at MM7 like you all did requires extra effort. (Vespa Haus kicked everyone's butt at the U.S. Nationals a few weeks ago with a wild Super 9).
I know Metrakit, Malossi and Airsal provide the "standard" 70cc stuff.

I tried to talk to Piaggo at the US motorcycle show in Indy this spring about setting up as an importer for the Zip, and also to Peugot. Neither gave a crap about the U.S. market being represented.

vespa what kind of speeds are you guys getting out of your bikes and do you only use them for racing. how do they compare on the track with jogs and other scooters with yamaha based engines.

When racing on a kart track we are getting 60 MPH on a straight but we are talking maybe 100 meter max, on motorcycle / car tracks we can see speeds around 75 mph. These are realistic consistently reached speeds for our automatics. We race with ziri based vespas and the occasional TS1 since there so few of us

We are getting peak HP at 12,000 RPM on one and the other bike is getting power in the 13,000 range.

There is an aprilia SR50 and malaguti that are very much in contention with our scooters if not faster depending on the pilot and the track. There was a Derbi at the last races that was put together by the importer and it was also very much in contention.

The thing that is different about these scooter is that they are closer to a “bolt on”configuration plus a few tricks and porting, but nothing compared to what it takes to put a full digital selectra and Malossi full race barrel on a super 9. If it was not for our local scooter shop also having a certified engineer and a full machine shop, we would still be running around with MHR replica iron ring cylinders doing.

We think the best thing that could happen is if we could import some ZIP SP model scooters into the US, the only Piaggio products available here are the Vespa and the Liberty, they are not bringing in any other types of scooters.

We have had no Jogs come out nor any of the Dio type scooters so we cannot compare there performance. I and my friends wish we could get the level of involvement with scooters occurring all around the world to make it to the USA. We will keep trying.

rydah said:
vespa what kind of speeds are you guys getting out of your bikes and do you only use them for racing. how do they compare on the track with jogs and other scooters with yamaha based engines.

My call sign for yahoo is scooter_95818 and I have not been on that group for a while. I'll stop on buy

That #1 bike is a beast, its basically a old Mallosi Barrel bored out to take a wiesco CR80 piston, and the barrel is build up to allow for more porting. Tommy and Tony took two years to build that form end to end. If you notice the exhaust is just a cut and re-welded CR80 performance motocross exhaust.

The issue we were having is that it would melt all the rollers during every heat race. I have never seen anything like it. way too much torque for a CVT , it also killed a new belt afer two races. Tommy is now going to detune it so we can keep a transmission together for the length of the race

If Tommy could tame that scooter so it could take the current power, I don't think anything that is in existence in the USA could beat it. The Pilot Nation (my teammate) is a very very good rider and he really had to be gentle with it to keep if form going off the track.

My scooter is a malossi based engine with a custom built pipe and we were reduced the carboration form a Kien 28 to OKO 24 and got it running really good. Colorado is 5000 feet in elevation at least, that made tuning really hard.

scootertrog said:
Hey there 1957vespa!
I don't recall seeing your call-sign on the Yahoo super 9 site. Is Tom holding out on you? :)
There are some bolt-ons, but obviously to win at MM7 like you all did requires extra effort. (Vespa Haus kicked everyone's butt at the U.S. Nationals a few weeks ago with a wild Super 9).
I know Metrakit, Malossi and Airsal provide the "standard" 70cc stuff.

Mallosi Team is what we are running, they rev higher than that, its just the peak power is in the 12 and 13,000 rpm ranges, it starts falling off after that

wow sounds like you guys really know what your doing, keep up the good work. if you ever get a chance to race in so cal go for it. i have a couple of friends that race there.

As far as I know the S9 engine is 100% developed by Kymco, not a copy of anything else. Because of the barrel position and the shape of the exhaust flange (basically the same), it's very easy to modify a Piaggio Zip exhaust and make it fit on the S9.
(example: The Yasuni R will fit without any mod to the pipe, just adjust the bracket!)

This means you could try any of the top performing european 70cc exhausts on your S9. If you also manage to mod the aluminium racing 70cc kits on the S9, it would be unstoppable.

Let me introduce myself too then,im a 30 year old guy from Norway and i have a 2003 Peugot Speedfight II WRC. I have modified it alot with both styling and engine-wise. I am getting a Malossi Mhr Team Speed cylinder from a Piaggio lc modified to fit a Peugeot engine. Going to mate it with a Yasuni C16 exhaust,Doppler Endurance crank,Skf C4 bearings,21 mm Dellorto,Malossi Multivar,Polini big valve-kit,Malossi cdi-unit and some other stuff. Going to build the fastest Peugeot in Norway :) Going to be the first in Norway with a Mhr Team Speed cyl. on a Peugeot also

Hi! Sounds like you got a great ride. I thought Norway was rather strict with modifying scooters. Of course the US limits them to 30 mph also.... :)

That WRC might just be the sweetest looking scoot made. I can't understand why Peugeot doesn't want to get in on the US market. Scooter sales here in the US were up something like 200% last year with similiar predictions for this year.

Aidix,
That is the first I've heard about the Yasuni pipe fitting the Super 9. I Wish I knew that before I ordered my Tecnigas Next-R. Eventually I'll move the Next-R over to my wife's S9 (currently has the Next on it) so theirs still hope. Problem is by the time I get it to the US it'll cost $$$. The Euro is 1.8x the dollar. :(

scootertrog said:
Hi! Sounds like you got a great ride. I thought Norway was rather strict with modifying scooters. Of course the US limits them to 30 mph also.... :)

That WRC might just be the sweetest looking scoot made. I can't understand why Peugeot doesn't want to get in on the US market. Scooter sales here in the US were up something like 200% last year with similiar predictions for this year.
Thanx,i think its a great idea too. I really liked the 206 WRC edition,but if i knew what i know today when i bought a scooter i would rather buy a Piaggio liquidcooled scooter. Much more opportunities with a Piaggio.....but im getting a Team Speed cylinder fitted anyway :)

Hello everyone,

Thought I would travel over and join everyone for a beer. I see Jake,Tommy and you are leaving foot prints.

Our Cobra has the C20 on it and making the hanger bracket was the toughest part.

Steve

Back