Hard to put in gears ??

Prying off part of the case with a flat head screwdriver is never a good idea. There should be a tab of metal somewhere around the edge that is for helping it off by tapping on it from the back. I think the secondary gear kit you have is the rear axle so it would require taking off the back wheel anyways. It should be any more difficult that before, it's just a bigger peice of metal that's covering the gearbox and from the other side, but it's the same idea. Try and save the gasket that's between the gearbox cover and the rest of the case. The Top Performance kit I got came with a spare gasket so that's good.

For taking off the clutch you can also sometimes use a strap wrench like for taking off oil filters on cars, but not an oil filter wrench. They are cheap and usually easier to find. I really like the variator holding tool I got from scooter center. I never use an imact wrench to get the variator off anymore. but an electric impact wrench is very useful as well. just be careful or don't use an impact wrench to put the variator back on.

would it be okay if i tried the metal tab (found it) and if that doesnt help and its on tight, could i do the screwdriver thing with some gasket paper as back up, so if its damaged i can replace it. Thanks for ur info helped alot.

The screwdriver is never a good idea. I admit I have done it but the metal is soft and if hitting the tab didn't work it will take a lot of force with the screwdriver. Gasket paper won't stop the damage to the metal. Make sure there isn't something else keeping it from moving off. You can take a dead blow hammer and tap around the edges to jar it loose maybe, then try the tab some more.

butch-182 said:
Have you taken the allen key bolt from behind the kick start? Its an easy one to miss!

allen key bolt behind the kickstart, my kickstart is at the variator and nowhere near the gears ?:-( I have had a good look and there seems to be no more screws or anything, i can remember when i first took my tranny case off that was on solid aswell, this one is probably as tight.

When you say dead blow, do you mean whack it ?

Excuse me.. I thought you ment your side cover! *hits head*

Dead blow hammer is either nylon or rubber and the ruber version contains led shots inside, so when you hit, it has a "blow" behind it, very usefull peice of kit to get! Doesnt damage a thing which is also great..

Ive sucessfully got the gear up kit in, but now theres something wrong, the bike goes fine, but theres a ringing, whirring sound thats comming from the bike, havent a clue what it is but it gets louder as the bike gets faster. Anyone know whats up with it ? Thanks alot.

were ur old gears helicoil cut?
and are ur new gears straight cut?
if so its nothing to worry about(like driving a car in reverse)

Alex_ice said:
were ur old gears helicoil cut?
and are ur new gears straight cut?
if so its nothing to worry about(like driving a car in reverse)

They are straight cut, the standard ones were twisted so im guessin thats making the whirring noise, phew glad i dint fuck sommat up :p, Thanks....you know your stuff. :)

have u noticed theres more power when a car is in reverse, cause on a normal road car reverse is the only gear that is straight cut,
im not 100% sure thats wots making the noise but if thats the only thing thats is differnet then thats all it could be

Okay. First off, you guys have some strange techniques to get a clutch and pulley off.....it's really alot easier if you just happen to have the right tool. The tool is called a clutch bell wrench. They make different ones for piaggio and minerelli and are made by Selecta, same people who make inner roter ignitions. It has a large circle on the end with a hole in the middle for you to put a socket on the clutch nut, and three big prongs which go into the holes on the wingbell. Hold the wrench tight and loosen the nut. No more tightening brakes and the such.

Now you're problem. I just experiences the same thing installed a Malossi Primary gear kit, which has straight cut gear wheels. Are you absolutely positive that you're rear wheel gearwheel shaft is the right one for you're primary? Sometimes, if you're not careful, they don't always work properly. For instance I was using a 12 tooth primary with the malossi overange secondary, and when I rolled the bike back and forth I didn't like the noise it made. It wasn't a loud noise, but like you said, when I rode the bike, especially at speed, it made a funny noise. Turns out that the rear wheel gearwheel shaft I was using matches with a 13 primary and not a 12. Once I changed it over, no more noise. I went through lots of headaches thinking about this, but it wasn't really that complicated. I just didn't check it, thought a rear wheel gearwheel shaft is a shaft ya know? Well, I was wrong. I'm not sure this is your problem, but that's what mine was. Hope it helps ya.

I dont know about this its because i got a new shaft and cog in my gear up kit, so they should match perfectly is this what you were on about, because you lost me a little bit :p. Thanks

Back