Crackling sound at Cruise..

Drandon

Hey all. I know about the sensational "rang-a-dang-dang" sound of 2 strokes I love. I have a weird version of it. My bike is a recent build (read below in profile) and when I reach a certain cruise speed (relatively high RPMs) i begin to hear a crackling noise, like popcorn but not loud. When I turn my head and listen to the exhaust specifically I can hear it more profoundly. It does not appear to be a bog, but when i accelerate out of it it goes away only to return as I steady the throttle (cruising).

Besides this, all runs well. No trouble starting. Take off is great.

All ideas welcome. Thanks.

Advertisement - register to remove this

Could be engine knock (Pinking) Have you set up your carb and ignition properly?
It could be either too lean and will require re jetting or your ignition could be out and you may be suffering a little bit of pre ignition.

Usually you suffer engine knock when your motor is under load so I'd most probably check out the jetting first.

Either way whip out the spark plug and take a look at the colour and also check for small deposits which could signal pre ignition.

Thanks for the reply Wayne. My Scooter is a brand new build, literally, just in the last few months. It was running fantastic until recently I filled my tank with gas (and oil). My current theory is that my mechanic (who previously filled my tank) mixed the oil at a higher than usual amount for break-in. I still am utilizing oil injection so, with my Stage6 Sport Cylinder I mixed an additional oil mixture of 60:1 in my tank. So now i'm likely running richer. I will back the Fuel/Air mixture screw a quarter turn and see what happens (or what doesn't happen). I will keep you posted.

Last edited:
Back