Bore & Stroke in Gilera 180 c.c.Engine

Advertisement - register to remove this

Thanks Browni!, I know there is a BGM crank for it, it's a 55 m.m. stroke..but is there a Malossi or Polini bigger cylinder for this engine?

Mexicano said:
Thanks Browni!, I know there is a BGM crank for it, it's a 55 m.m. stroke..but is there a Malossi or Polini bigger cylinder for this engine?

No the original is the bigest. Polini and Malossi has a 174 cc version with different port timings and head, but don't worth it, if you already have an original 175 cc cylinder!

Thanks Browni!

Is the following set up good enough for daily street racer?:

BGM 55 m.m. Crank
32-34 m.m. KOSO carb and K&N air filter
VForece Reed Cage
Yasuni Pipe or JollyMoto
Polini Ignition or similar (With light coils)
Nology Hot Wire
Malossi Delta Clutch
Malossi Boost Bottle
Malossi Multivar Varietor
Malossi Kevlar Belt

If you think I would need something else, please let me know.

Thanks!

Alex_ice said:
the polini or malossi 174 kits have a BIG performace increse from the standard barrel,

at lest of wot ive seen

I don't think so! Moreover in some case it's more worser (if you use standard carb+exhaust)! However I tried out another bike with Malossi cylinder and it wasn't much more better.

If you replace all of the parts too Malossi it will be better than a standard Gilardoni cylinder but it goes without saying!

I see the portmap of the Malossi and Polini cylinder and the original too, very little differences! When I compared to my self tuned 175 cc Gilardoni cylinder they looked like a standard one! :)

But we can say the standard cylinder head is crap, so if you use a MAlossi cylinder head for the standrd cylinder it will be much more better!

Mexicano said:
Thanks Browni!

Is the following set up good enough for daily street racer?:

BGM 55 m.m. Crank
32-34 m.m. KOSO carb and K&N air filter
VForece Reed Cage
Yasuni Pipe or JollyMoto
Polini Ignition or similar (With light coils)
Nology Hot Wire
Malossi Delta Clutch
Malossi Boost Bottle
Malossi Multivar Varietor
Malossi Kevlar Belt

If you think I would need something else, please let me know.

Thanks!

I don't know what type of Yasuni do you want to use, if I am correct tehre isn't a pipe for such a big engine!

Jolly Moto is very good!

Do you want to adapt a Polini 50 cc ignition?? There is only Selettra and HPI inner rotor kits. Or you can buy Malossi or Athena CDI if you don'T want the 10000 rpm limiter!

In my opinion the standard Clutc is very good quality, so you can buy only the MAlossi clutc spring set. BUt if you want much more precise adjustinfg just buy the Delta, but the standrd can cope high performance. This is true for the belt too, the standard is very strong, so if it isn't wear off just use it!

BGM crank is very good, and you can't imagine the Malossi variator is what a useful tunig part, it's really amazing, the standard vario is totally crap!

Browni said:
I don't know if he can tune his cylinder that's why I didn't suggest it!

enough people who can..

and no, they don't sell it, but they've worked out the ideas to go for your own (if you got the possibilities)

Razma said:
enough people who can..

and no, they don't sell it, but they've worked out the ideas to go for your own (if you got the possibilities)

Ideas? It isn't special, this is a "common" reboring! What do you mean?

Mexicano said:
Browni: So, the stock cylinder with Malossi head performs well?

I would like to adapt a Polini 50 c.c. ignition, YES!!

In my personal opinion yes! But you can try out the centered type cylinder heads (you can find them at scooter-center). But for that you shoul modify your standard head cover or buy the expensive PM tuning!

I made my custom made centered cylinder head, not only the fuel consumtion decreased but the performance increases too!

Last edited:
O.K. Browni. here is the story...I'm trying to buy a used Gilera 180 c.c. (No new ones anymore) here in Mexico, it is a 2003 model with 4,350Kms. on the clock, it looks real as "NEW"...but before I buy it, I'm trying to figure out what i have to do to make it a real street racer...I tested the scoot yesterday and my modified Triton is faster than this Gilera...at least in acceleration and from 0 to 100 Kms/Hr.

If I get into this journey, I want to be sure what it takes, do you know what I mean?...I don't want to end with a "new" scooter same as I have now and spending thousands!!!

Last edited:
Some Pics from the "Prospect Bike"

GileraRunner180c.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

What do you think?

Mexicano said:
GileraRunner180c.jpg

What do you think?

NIce bike, and it is in good condition! That 4xxx km is nothing!

As I said it previous, this bike is quite slow if it is standard. It has got a big muffer with a very restrictive catalyst, the header pipe has a stricture. The standard vario is for safety starting, so you have poor accelration! BUt if you only replace the vario it is even much more better, but replacing the exhaust is very useful, but than you need a bigger carb min 25 mm, but you can use 32 mm as you said!

It will be very fast!!

Thanks Browni!...I will buy it and add all the stuff I said before, later I will get an oversized disc brake, bitubo rear shock and a Paioli front fork!

let's do it!!!!!

Back