Blown Fan

Mexicano

Mexicano
Have you seen this before?:

DSC03550.jpg

DSC03547.jpg

Why this happened?..I was just reving to 11,500!!!....never heard any noise because the helmet, suddenly the scoot lost powr and smoke were coming out from engine, I shut down and bring it back home WALKING!!!!

It started without any problem but engine was very hot and I heard a weird noise, so I shut down again, and looked at the fan cover and saw a hole, after pulling away the fan cover i discovered the pieces of the fan.

Do you think my engine could suffer some sort of demage with this overheating?, what can I check for?

Do you think this kind of fan is harder to break?, Is it a better choise?:

Fan.jpg

Thanks,

Last edited:
Advertisement - register to remove this

yep ive done a few,
i just bought another 1 ive tried to find the problem not luck lol
i think its because the fans are only ment to do a certian rpm but we all decieded to tuned them meanin the facotory has not made them to rev thta high

It's Not just the Fan.......

after the engine cooled now, I tried to start it again and I couldn't make it start with the electric start, I did with the kick start but the engine was doing weird matal noise...I found this:

DSC03552-B.jpg

Look at the parts with red circle

The crankshaft has a BIG grove and the splines are demaged at the front:

DSC03556.jpg

I will get a new crank, new varietor and small parts.

Or did you tight it not so good or your engine is making more power than your material can handle.
Had same problem with a Polini pin 10 cranshaft and worked it out with a polini pin 12 with no splines.
About the fan....I had an AC engine until last year and my fan didn't broke out always reving 13000+.
Maybe your fan didn't cope with the HPI rotor and didn't stay well placed on it.

Nino:

Recently I check the tightness at the varietor nut because I changed the belt and I'm sure it was tight enough, my guess is that the crankshaft was a bad quality piece, I didn't like it very much since the begining, now I will try one from other supplier, it is a 47 m.m. FULL CIRCLE crank, also I will try a diferent varietor brand.

Regards,

Last edited:
Well its no wonder that a fan from time till time will brake with all the beating they will have to take. Just tink of the amound of air that it has to remove when reeving 13k rpm. Thats an avfully lot.

Wow! you have my sympathies. It looks like something made your crank stop really fast. I don't know if it's a deficient part but maybe a seize or just the fan or variator that broke and stopped the crank. Even something really light that is moving really fast has a lot of energy stored in it and will want to keep moving. just like a bullet. So maybe if the crank stopped (from the inside or just one side) the part on the other side kept moving and broke. I think it would be too big of a coincindence for it to have happened on both sides like that. And if you kick started it the variator was still on one peice at that time. Broken but still holding together.

@ piaggio @ races this happens a lot , they use aluminium coolingfans now instead ,I never had this probleem @ minarelli so i race with std cooling fan ,but not a white one , a black version , maybe that one is better.

but is it not the variator that stopt first? cause I can not amagine that the colapse op this cooling fan would destoy the crankshaft. off course , everything is possible :p

the guys @ races never had problems with fans exploding and broken crankshafts, not that I now of , they just put on a new fan and fan cover and ride off again

are the bolts you used the std ones btw?

melf #50 said:
@ piaggio @ races this happens a lot , they use aluminium coolingfans now instead

Where do they get those fans from?

No, the fan bolts are aftermarket 8.8 steel bolts as you can see in the second picture.

Mexicano said:
Where do they get those fans from?

No, the fan bolts are aftermarket 8.8 steel bolts as you can see in the second picture.

The aluminium cooling fans (only piaggio I think) are CNC milled and made by Freddy Koopmans.
He works for Scooter Attack now.

Also you could lower the fins of your standard fan to increase the durability at high rpm's.
But you should also look at the adapter plate, if it's nicely straight on the crankshaft.

Joël said:
The aluminium cooling fans (only piaggio I think) are CNC milled and made by Freddy Koopmans.
He works for Scooter Attack now.
Freddy bought them by Mark (Pizzano @ forum), his dad machined them.

Wow, the teeth of your variator ramp or your starter clutch became an instant chain saw! Could it have been the starter clutch that locked up all of the sudden?

melf #50 said:
@ piaggio @ races this happens a lot , they use aluminium coolingfans now instead ,I never had this probleem @ minarelli so i race with std cooling fan ,but not a white one , a black version , maybe that one is better.

but is it not the variator that stopt first? cause I can not amagine that the colapse op this cooling fan would destoy the crankshaft. off course , everything is possible :p

the guys @ races never had problems with fans exploding and broken crankshafts, not that I now of , they just put on a new fan and fan cover and ride off again

ha die melf vertaal machine!

dit komt omdat dit een blok van de nederlandse CPI is.
die fans zijn van erg slechte kwalitijd.
ik rij op me piaggio race scooter met minarelli vens. de witte en de zwarte.
maakt helemaal niks uit:)

het enige wat hij hiertegen kan doen is een org fan pakken:) dus niet zo carbon imi fulles ding.

en die anders nog ongeveer 1 cm inkorten die fan. dan heb je nog minder kans op klappen:)

merci melf voor het vertalen

groetjes rob

ps, nu hij toch ze krukas moet vervangen er past gewoon een minarelli horz krukas in dus een P1 krukas ofzo:) wel pen 12 pakken. kan je ook meer bruikbare vario;s enzo pakken:)

Back