70cc Vertical Jog Motor & Pipe Availability?

TwisttheGrip

I am looking for a 70cc cylinder Kit and a Pipe for my 1986 Yamaha Jog scooter as my 50cc bore is worn out.
Can anyone please guide me to someone who still may sell these 70cc replacement cylinders for old Jogs, and I will need a pipe as well.
I think Zuma used to be vertical also, but do not know if these 70cc will fit?? Should I run Cast Iron or aluminum?? if they still make both?

Thanks So Much

Advertisement - register to remove this

the old zuma cylinders will fit that block, you might have to do a lil bit of mods to make that pipe fit though. if i were you i would just sell that jog and get a 92 or newer so you can get all the real race parts.

Vertical Jog Pipe and 70cc Cyl. Search

Thx Rydah1,
Yes i should sell but I have had it forever and put a long travel Worx shock on that only fits this jog and no other scooter and it absorbes All bumps and everything + I put an air Ram intake on it for cooling Plus it is 20LBS lighter than the newer jogs etc.

I know I am crazy, but Please let me know if anyone knows where I can find an old Zuma 70cc Vertical Cyl Kit and Pipe????
i heard they made a japan and a Euro version of this 70cc Vertical motor, and the Jap one probably will work, but Euro may not.

Please help.

Thanks

Thx Rydah1,
Yes i should sell but I have had it forever and put a long travel Worx shock on that only fits this jog and no other scooter and it absorbes All bumps and everything + I put an air Ram intake on it for cooling Plus it is 20LBS lighter than the newer jogs etc.

I know I am crazy, but Please let me know if anyone knows where I can find an old Zuma 70cc Vertical Cyl Kit and Pipe????
i heard they made a japan and a Euro version of this 70cc Vertical motor, and the Jap one probably will work, but Euro may not.

Please help.

Thanks
there is a jdm version of your motor, does your motor have a cvt tranny. my friend out here has a shop and might have a polini evo cylinder and polini evo crank for that motor. look for older zuma cylinders and cranks, there are tuns around. i had one of those older jogs, i think it was a 88 and my 93 used to smoke it when they were stock. my 88 would only go 35 but my 93 would do close to 50 stock.

Thanks Rydah1

Thanks Rydah1,

It is a Belt/CVT i believe.

Never heard of a Jog 50cc going 50mph stock unless you mean downhill, and yes they do come close to 50 downhill as my 2000 does?

Yes my 2000 Jog goes 40 stock on flat and 45-50 downhill, and my 86 went around 35 flat and 40 downhill, and I could put/convert the Horizontal motor into the 86 as I heard they sell a bracket that adapts the newer motor, but then I cannot run the bigger shkock + i will make my other Horizontal scooter a 86LC, so it will go too fast, so I still want to make my old 86 a 70cc lightweight Vertical, but probably want to use stock crank so I do not have to split cases and 70cc is bolt on. But you are right as the EVO crank would make more power, but i do not want to spend too much as it is an outdated/vert motor.
What is JDM motor???
What is your friend's shop called?????????

Can I get a Pipe for this old motor???????????????
Maybe an old Zuma Pipe can be modified to fit where it bolts to cases?

Can I get Tall Gears for this old motor????

Does anyone know where you can buy the Adaptor Bracket for Horiz Conversion?????

Yes I have seen old Zuma 70cc kits like the Athena, that probably works, but I have to have a Pipe that works or I cannot start the project, so I will talk with this shop to see about Pipes and Cyl fitments etc.

Also, if memory serves, the charging system did not work right, so I will have my bro from Yam shop test it, but can i find replacement Stator/Coil for this motor?????

Thanks RYDAH1, you are The Best.

i dont know whats wrong with your jog, but my 93 went just a tad under 50mph and my weight is 165. the needle would wrap all the way around, complete burry on flat ground. brah see if you can get a polini corsa for the older zumas, that should put plenny power into your bike and get the polini 4race pipe too. if you want to go budget then try that toy stuff, airsal bore and leo pipe combo. also remember a scooter/moped could never be too fast. about that conversion bracket, i dont know where you could find that. some years back a guy on here named DRUG used to make them but he stopped a while ago (i have a set, lol ). the shop is called motosource, its out here in hawaii. look it up and ask for george, he had a complete raced up jdm up-right jog back in the days.

You are Good Rydah1, Thanks.
Yes i believe you about polini etc.
Maybe my 200 jog is restricted?

I was going to buy Athena 70cc and leave crank stock, but know i am thinking about going with the metrakit 70 or 80cc and my guy has the Matching Metrakit Pipe for this setup he claims;

Is Metrakit better than Athena??

Do you still like Polini setup better than Metrakit and Athena???
What does JDM stand for and where are they manufactured??
Does JDM make Pipes as well?
Will 2000 Jog forks bolt on 86 Jog/fork conversion??

You are The Best Rydah1!!

Thanks so much

You are Good Rydah1, Thanks.
Yes i believe you about polini etc.
Maybe my 200 jog is restricted?

I was going to buy Athena 70cc and leave crank stock, but know i am thinking about going with the metrakit 70 or 80cc and my guy has the Matching Metrakit Pipe for this setup he claims;

Is Metrakit better than Athena??

Do you still like Polini setup better than Metrakit and Athena???
What does JDM stand for and where are they manufactured??
Does JDM make Pipes as well?
Will 2000 Jog forks bolt on 86 Jog/fork conversion??

You are The Best Rydah1!!

Thanks so much

JDM, means, japan domestic market. the 2000 stock front fork is junk, its not even worth the hassle. there is no need to go from a drum to a drum, you only go from drum to disk. i like polini evo's better then the other brands but thats just me. if you going budget, then go with athena. i never heard of a 80cc bore for that up-right engine. whatever cylinder you decide to get make sure you can get a pipe to match.

Hey Fellas,

Pardon my lack of knowledge with scooters and their mechanical construction, but I just bought a 2005 Piaggio Typhoon 50cc and had a Malossi ET2 70cc kit installed with a Malossi variator installed as well. I had a shop install it for me, but I want to start learning more about how to install things and tweak things on my scooter.

On that note and in response to Twistthegrip, I also have a 1986 Yamaha Jog 50cc scooter that has been a GREAT scooter for me for the past year. I bought the 2005 Piaggio Typhoon 2 months ago because some lady had it listed for $800 and I SOMEHOW got her to go down to $700 for it with only 2850 miles on it! Anyway... my 1986 Yamaha Jog accelerates faster than any 50cc scooter I've ridden, including my Piaggio WITH the 70cc kit on it (I think I need to do some tweaking after the shop installed the Malossi 70cc ET2 kit.. any ideas?? It's not terrible acceleration, but it's not as good as I thought it would be).

Anyway... my 1986 Yamaha Jog is still running fine, but when I start it up, ride it a small distance and come to a stop it won't stay idling and just dies. And then I can't start it back up. Like I said before, pardon my stupidity when it comes to scooter mechanics, but what does this sound like? An idler issue? Something with the starter? (kick-starting won't work either, after it has stalled out at a stop)

I'm also considering putting a new engine on the 1986 Yamaha Jog (by the way, the Jog only has 1600 ORIGINAL miles on it... immaculate condition).

Any thoughts for me on 1) where to go to get a good/thorough education on scooter mechanics (mainly, to save me the labor costs at local shops here in Denver), 2) what i should do with the 1986 Yamaha Jog? (get the idler/stalling problem fixed and leave it or install a new engine on it?) and 3) what are some things I should do with my 2005 Piaggio Typhoon (now with the Malossi ET2 70cc kit and Malossi variator on it) to make the acceleration even faster?

Any insight or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys,

Kezmo

Kezmo's Probs

Kezmo,
Sounds like they Screwed the Typhoon up as the 70cc should smoke the
old stock Jog. Yes it needs to be re-done/fixed

The Jog just prob needs the gas tank thoroughly cleaned out and then istall an inline fuel filter. Then the carb needs to be disassembled and cleaned-probably needs micro drill bits(jet drills to ream-clean the crud out of the jets and the old scoot should run fine. Clean and re-oil filter also if has not been done in a long time also. Drills needed as sometimes sewing needles cannot punch through hardened sediment inside carb jets. Must clean out gastank also and use fuel filter as if don't cleaned carb can plug up again. clean and/or change spark plug also.

Last edited:
Size Carb 19mm or 21mm?? to run on 70cc Vert Yam Jog Setup

I will run a 70cc ported cast Iron setup such as Polini and a Race Pipe and Variator, but what Size Carb-19mm or 21mm? wuld work best for this setup???

I think i can use the stock/OEM 50cc intake for the 19mm carb??
Will this sotck intake work for the 21mm or do I need an aftermarket Intake?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Twist

I've got an Athena race pipe for vert jog. Swapped it out for an mhr pipe only has about 14 hrs on the pipe. Wide strong power band. Make me an offer and get your project going already...

Old Vertical Yamaha Interchangeability -Jog VS Zuma

I am buying an old Metrakit 70cc Top End kit and Pipe that was for Old Vert Zuma.

I know the pipe can be made to work, but will this cylinder fit my old 87 Jog?? seller says it fits??

I saw a race crank for sale for Old Vert juma, same question, will this crank work for my old 87 Yam Jog??

Someone told me he thought the Old Jog was a Japan based design and old Zuma is a Minarelli design??

I do not want to buy parts that don't fit!!
If you are not entirely sure of your answer, please tell me so when you answer.

Thanks,
twist

Rydah1 , oh really 50kph from %100 stock jog ? my needle hit the stoper , till it broke , thats on stock jog , so i must have been going 100mph ! speedo spring gets weaker so it keep going faster and faster !

according to magazine test , no %100 stock 50cc scooter went over 65kph on radar gun = 41MPH ... jog did 62kph , around 40kph ..

does front brake still work being such small drum after 25 years ? ? you want to buy racing crank when you have no real front brake ? and your fork is Pogostick ? oh , it has really good shock on the back ! tank is rusted and junk will mess up the carb and engine , so worry about what size carb can fit ? you know bike gas filters dont work , get car filter ones .. the ones with paper inside ..
================
Someone told me he thought the Old Jog was a Japan based design and old Zuma is a Minarelli design??

japan produced both , i think you have old one ... , it seems europeans only produced the newer ones same as zuma or bws so there is 2 types of vertical engines , cylinder is different , reed cage being bigger etc , not much exist for older one so changing to newer , you must buy everything as set , reeds manifold etc ..

many other differences too .. the older ones had pulsar pick inside magneto , newer one use horizental parts , etc ..

19 or 20mm carb, and Big or Stock intake Manifold & Reeds?

Thanks mikex24,
You said,
"your intake will work with the 21mm carb but the 19mm carb jetted is better for your setup."
Looks like I will buy genuine Keihin PE 20mm round slide carb as a very trusted race-shop owner told me this would be best.
But not sure he knows my entire setup and needs.
Not saying you are wrong, as was going to buy Delorto 19mm, but he said Keihin 20mm is way better & should be able to be jetted fine for me and is best/most trouble free carb. since you said 21 will fit my stock 86 jog vertical Intake Manifold, then 20 should fit?
I plan on using stock reid block and having Boyesen sell me reeds that they say i can make work on stock reed Block.
Can I get a bigger/Zuma style racing Intake manifold that will work on this old Jog, and would that work better for the 20mm carb, and will this bigger manifold also be better because the reeds and reed block will also have to bi bigger, or will my stock Intake work best as I will be running a Road/not race 70cc ported Cast iron cylinder Kit???
It may all depend on if Old Vert Zuma Race intkes wil work on my old Jog, but am told I do not nee the big intake for my Mild 70cc hopup? , since I will use stock Crank and ignition etc.
I guess either carb would work fine, but looks like probably stock Intake fine for my setup, questin is will 20mm Keihin PE work with stock manifold, or am I better off with big manifold and bigger matching reed block and reeds??
Guess I can take my Intake to the keihin Dealer to try to match the stock reeds/block and manifold to the PE20mm to see if fits first before i buy it/carb.
Sorry for beating this issue to death, but want to make sure.
Pre-planning is everything!
You guys have all been very helpful, and your advice is Very Good, just an old scooter and many ways of building it, just want it right/simple, and Keihin PE does not make 19mm, or i would buy it.
My Quad guru knows keihin/mikuni, OKO, Del Orto etc. and he sys stay away from all except Keihin PE 20 for what i am doing.
Then again I think Del Orto 19 round is fine, as some others think so, maybe just not as good as Keihin PE20mm.
Thanks,
Twist

Back