1996 Aprilia Rally 50 Ac - Service and Tuning

RuiG

Hello all.

Couldn't find the introductions forum so I'll post my hello here.

I just purchased an 1996 Aprilia Rally 50 Ac and it needs to get some things sorted.

As far as I can see it needs 3 things: a new exhaust, a new air filter and a good service.

It's just a small motor to get around town and I'm not looking to race it ehehehe (apart from the occasional green-light blast)

I'm considering this service as a two way path:

1- Get a performance exhaust, a performance replacement air filter (OEM style) and a general service. In this option I'll keep the engine standart.

2- Get the exhaust and the filter, but get some other performance parts. In this case I need something that keeps the bike reliable, mpg not much higher than standart, nothing too loud and basicly a kit that works like pulg-and-play. I'm not really into mechanics but I imagine it would be something like bigger cilinder kit, bigger carburator, etc, etc. Not really something drastic, but some basic stuff to improve performance and keep the budget on a reasonable level.

All opinions welcome. And many thaks for all the help.

Advertisement - register to remove this

If the exhaust is literally broken then just replace it with a similar looking one, there are plenty of imitation exhausts that act and perform the same as the original with decent quality. This will save you the trouble you will have jetting the carb and adjusting the rollers and such, when buying a 'performance exhaust'.

The original (or similar imitation) exhaust will give you almost the same speed and acceleration speed as a 'performance exhaust'.

About the airfilter, only replace it with an identical one or imitation, but must be a ' big bog ' again, dont get a "powerfilter"! That will just suck in a lot of dirt and require rejetting of the carb, which is usually harder than with the original airfilter. If you just mean you want to replace the foam inside the filter, then thats no problem, and doesnt matter which brand you take for that; its just a piece of foam

Be sure to get plenty of oil in your machine, also replacing the sparkplug can never hurt. Buy the same one as what you take out of it

When the time comes that you really want a lot more power, then you can look at a 70cc kit, but thats not something you will get done in an afternoon. The above mentioned is.

Oh and also check the rollers to see if they dont have too square sides. If they do, measure them all 6 and divide the weight by 6, then buy new ones with that weight. Or read the weight on the sides of the rollers, if still readable

Ty for all the tips.

I'm going to get a specialized shop/mechanic serving my new machine. I'm looking for infor on what path to go because I know little about the subject and don't wnt to be tricked into buying that is not worth the trouble.

Air filter wise, plant to replace it for an OEM style filter but with better foam. Like we do on cars wih OE style filters from KN, Green etc, etc.

Exhaust wise, I didn't knew that a performance element would need some special tuning to the engine, so I'll keep tht in mind.

If I may ask, in your opinion, what would be a good basic setup to start modding my Aprilia? Consider 70cc kit and so on. Nothing too extreme, but usable on a dily basis.

Many thanks.

The original filter is fine, only replace the foam element inside (if necessary). No need to replace the whole filterbox itself.

If you do want some more power then the original 50cc cilinder, then get a DR70. I don't know if they sell those in your country tho (which is?), but it's a low RPM cilinder which will work very nicely with your original exhaust also. Will give you noticable more acceleration power and increase your topspeed with about 10 or 15km/h. If you then place a special 70cc exhaust on it you will get a little more power, but that will also increase your topspeed more (which isnt what you wanted, right)

That does require you to rejet the carb, adjust the rollers, clutchsprings, and contraspring. And some knowledge on how to change a cilinder and piston, also you need a special tool to open the variomatic system (a vario-blocking-tool, cost about 5 to 15 euros)

Hey again.

Yes, just a sponge replacement is what I'm looking for.

A 70cc kit would be welcome but I'm a bit scared about the fact it needs re-jet and possibly new kind of rollers.

Either way, I hope the mechanic knows enough about tuning to get it done.

I'm in Portugal

Back